Chasing for ring circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by chillijacket, Sep 4, 2016.

1. chillijacket

chillijacket New Member

Hi,
    I am having a new ring circuit fitted on the ground floor and to cut costs I'm doing the chasing out for the wiring and sockets. The wiring is all coming down from the ceiling- the ground floor is solid so it makes sense to come down from there.
    My question- Being a ring circuit each socket will have two cable coming in/out- do I need to put in two separate chases down to each socket or can both cables go into one lager chase? They will be in plastic conduit.
    Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You only need one chase per drop to each socket, 2x 2.5mm T+E will fit in 25mm oval conduit for ring final circuit,with a bit of wiggle room, 25mm oval conduit dimension is around 29 x 11mm.
    Could use plastic capping, but oval conduit is easier if you ever need to add or change wiring at a later date.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Q. didnt ur sparks tell you what he wanted?????

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Good point.:oops:

He forgot to ask.:)

5. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

He hasn't had any sparks yet. Might get some when he connects it up though.;)

KIAB likes this.
  6. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

2.5mm x 2 will fit easily into 25mm oval, it will also go into 20mm oval albeit tightly. I believe in Ireland they use 20mm round, makes sense tbqh.

How many people use de-rating calcs with the use of a lot of conduit?

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

20mm oval is ok, if you can keep the 2.5mm dead straight:rolleyes::oops:,it's tight, hence why I recommended 25mm, a bit more wiggle room.:)

8. chillijacket

chillijacket New Member

No he didn't say, drew roughly on the wall where they were to go. Then went on holiday for 2 weeks. Alright for some!
    Thanks for the advice. Just one chase will make it a lot quicker- hopefully less mess too. Got a chaser machine- so far made a lot of dust!

9. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You'll have to forgive some of the, well, more cynical members amongst the tribe :rolleyes:

PaulBlackpool and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Connect it to dust collector, less messy.:)

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

20mm round is perfect. Fits right into the back box and is easy to pull out later for changes. Can also squeeze a third cable if required.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No regulation necessity for conduit or capping, just plaster straight into chase.

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As Sen, it's purely to stop redneck plasters hacking your cables.
    I have been known to thistle plaster my own chases ready for a real plasterer, and when I do I take care.

KIAB and seneca like this.
  14. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Pretty much everyone does. Have seen oval used a couple of times though, but capping is never used.

leesparkykent likes this.
  15. chillijacket

chillijacket New Member

I've got a Henry vac, going to connect that when I start properly, dust cloud was huge.

16. Would never dream of not using conduit in chases.Although it may not be required, I always look upon it as a bit of a bodge to just plaster over the cables.
    It comes down to having a bit of pride in your work.

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I do too Rulland.

Rulland likes this.
  18. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

Even on new build? I generally use oval for chases/rewires and capping on brick/new build.

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Another one who aways plaster their own chases.:)

Rulland and seneca like this.
  20. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Exactly that.