Chasing pipes into a floor...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by BiancoTheGiraffe, Feb 24, 2017.

1. BiancoTheGiraffe

BiancoTheGiraffe Screwfix Select

A project I'm working on involves converting a ground floor room into a bathroom.

This is going to need me getting either the hot and cold water supplies from one side of the room to other, or the heating pipes.

I want to keep as much of the pipework concealed as possible, so the ideal solution would be to bury it in the concrete floor, but it's not something I've done before.

Anyone got any advice on this?

Done loads of bathrooms, but always with wooden floors!

2. andy48

andy48 Screwfix Select

1. It's hard work, messy, and you need to be very careful with any damp proof course / buried pipes / cables.

2. If at all possible, excavate a channel, and have a cover which can be removed for future maintenance.

3. Don't have any joints other than soldered copper joints in the buried pipework. Either use plastic in continuous lengths with no joins or copper with soldered connections. No compression or push fit joints. Pipes must be insulated.

4. If using copper, either use plastic insulated or wrap in Denso. Concrete in contact with copper will rot it, particularly if it gets damp.

5. Pressure test pipework in line with water regulations before covering over.

6. Clearly mark pipe runs on surface when finished.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Not really

Copper
    Copper is generally immune from attack by caustic alkalis and not affected by contact with lime or calcium hydroxide. It can be safely embedded in fresh concrete with no disruptive action occurring even when the concrete is saturate