Chasing pipes into wall !

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by monkey wrench, Mar 20, 2007.

1. monkey wrench

monkey wrench New Member

I want to install a new shower into our bathroom. However, the wall the the shower valve is to be mounted on is an external brick wall comprising of one layer of bricks, then a cavity, then more bricks. The idea was to chase a channel in the first layer of bricks to conceal the pipes before tiling. I have calculated that the channel needs to be about 5cm deep.

The problem is that I have tried to chase the channel and immediately the brick comes lose and pushes back into the cavity.

What is the procedure for chasing pipes into an external cavity wall ?

Can anyone please give me some advice.

Thankyou

2. > I have
    calculated that the channel needs to be about 5cm
    deep.

...your calcs are incorrect...3cm is more than enough

> The problem is that I have tried to chase the channel
    and immediately the brick comes lose and pushes back
    into the cavity.

...if this is happening your house is obviously structurally unsound

3. ally1957

ally1957 New Member

> The problem is that I have tried to chase the
    channel
    and immediately the brick comes lose and pushes
    back
    into the cavity.

Common problem with some older properties. You can overcome this by cutting out a channel in the wall with a grinder only down side with this method is that it is a very messy procedure with lots of dust everywhere.

4. monkey wrench

monkey wrench New Member

Thankyou for the posts.

I calculated 5cm as I will be mounting a bar shower valve which requires 1/2 inch female iro connections which need to be flush with the tiles. Taking into consideration the 15mm copper pipe, 15mm elbow and the 15mm compression to 1/2 inch female iron connector I worked out that I needed 5cm.

If I use a grinder to cut the two facing channels, how do I cut the back of the channel ?

Thanks again for the posts.

5. tgs

tgs New Member

Is is a bar mixer you are installing?(with 150mm centres) then you can get a bracket (Triton do one but I don't have a link to hand) that mounts under the finish surface. It takes much less depth than wall plate elbows and the compression joint is effectively out of the wall. You will only need the depth of the pipe within the wall.(plus some protection tape)

6. monkey wrench

monkey wrench New Member

7. tgs

tgs New Member

Not quite, these are deeper. You can get a pair which are effectively surface mounted, so the only protrusion into the wall is the pipe and an elbow.

SFD do them as two separate items:
    http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A334827&ts=25375&id=56419

These work but are tricky to fit. DP posted a link to two of these mounted on a chrome bar. The whole thing is just screwed to the finished surface and the bar mixer just bolts on. Can't find the link though.

8. Slimes

Slimes New Member

Also you can chase the pipework shallow up to the valve, the put a set in the pipes local to the mixer valve.

This makes it easier to get the right depth in a smaller area.

Simes.

9. Slimes

Slimes New Member