Chasing stone walls

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by iandaviot, Oct 5, 2014.

1. iandaviot

iandaviot Member

Im pricing a job with a lot of chasing required and was just wondering what some people thought with regards to time for doing a chase.

Looking at chasing wall 35mm deep 2m long with double box cut out. Fitting length of conduit and fixing box with plugs.

It is in an existing house so ceiling is still there but. Not worried about dust as it is a complete building site.

Cheers

2. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I think we need more info to give a true answer, are you chasing conduit in?, why?, are the walls actually stone?.

3. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

2m is not a lot of chasing out. No more than an hour. £85.

4. iandaviot

iandaviot Member

I was thinking about an hour each one all in. I have 40 to do!!! So thats a weeks work but i dont know if it would take that long but with stone you dont know how hard it can be . It is plastered on to stone so may be not to bad.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How were you thinking of doing the chasing?

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

FatHands likes this.
  7. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Hi.
    Stateit - do you use any of the chasers in the link? If so, which would you recommend (if any)

8. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

High FatHands,

Best I've used is a Metabo one, but it wasn't mine (£££s)

The Erbauer one works fine for occasional use (ie for daily use the Metabo, but I don't chase every day) .

Haven't used a Titan, but the extra depth (150mm blades vs 125mm blades) would be useful. The 125mm blades cut 'not quite deep enough'.

I haven't used the 'Sparky' ones either- but they weigh 8kg ***. The smaller 'more usual' ones (like Erbauer, Makita, Metabo, weigh half that.

The first one I used about 10 years ago was a Silverline for £80. That worked fine, except for the shallow cut (125mm blade)

Whatever make, just make sure you use a hoover on it (dust output is miraculous) and buy some decent diamond blades. With the amount of chases you have to do, it would make sense buying 'proper' £30-£40 diamond blades.

FatHands likes this.
  9. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Excellent, post, thanks Stateit!
    Point noted on the hoover! :)