Chimney removal.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by gingersue, Jun 26, 2016.

1. gingersue

gingersue New Member

Hi all,

I live in a semi detached 1950's house, and I would like to remove the lounge chimney breast. The in the bedroom above the lounge the breast has already been taken out years ago. I realise I have to possibly get regs and surveyors out etc etc. I can not find anywhere on the net which gives a current guide price from builders to remove it.

Can anyone give me an estimated cost?

Thanks

Sue

2. roughberty

roughberty Member

Your structural engineer will tell you if and how the job should be done, and this info is necessary for us to estimate. Also your location (unknown) will affect the cost of the job. You may get some comparatives, but are you comparing like with like?

3. mishter bond

mishter bond New Member

if the chimney has been removed from the bedroom above then has it been removed from the loft / roof?

if done correctly then you should either have steel gallows brackets holding up the existing chimney or no chimney above.

just something to look for. As above speak to a structural engineer first. Don't trust a builder to do the job properly when it comes to the structure of a property.

if a builder installs a naff kitchen it just looks bad. When a builder collapses your house because he isn't qualified but has a silver tongue....

4. slapstyxx

slapstyxx Member

Just a word of warning to back up what mishter bond said: -

Years ago, my wife & I bought a "builder modernised" house. It was mid-terraced, and the roof got damaged in the 1987 "hurricane" that Michael Fish notoriously failed to predict. It was only when a roofer came to estimate that he pointed out that the chimney was still in the loft. Whoever did it merely wedged a couple of 3" x 2" timber offcuts under the masonry. The roofer said the pointing outside was well away and estimated there was the best part of two tons of masonry up there. He said we were extremely lucky it hadn't been blown down in the storm, and that (had it fallen) it would have gone straight through my two year old son's bedroom and ended up in the kitchen below.

Definitely, engage a structural engineer and I'd seek advice from your Building Control Officer too.