Chimney Removal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by holidayinn, Jun 27, 2017.

1. holidayinn

holidayinn New Member

I recently moved into a new home, built 1930s. Semi detatched. Since then I’ve started to browse the forum and I know topic has been discussed to death but can’t see my particular situation.

1st question, I paid for a basic survey however it failed to notice the chimney removed from the first floor. If it had would my solicitors have asked for a regularisation? Is there any recourse on this?

2nd question, The ground floor breast is still intact, can I remove this? The stack is being held by gallow brackets in the loft but I think the neighbour has also removed their respective (party wall) chimney, probably with gallow brackets. They’ve been away for a week so I can’t check with them just yet. Would my stack be serving as a buttress? I would assume the brackets are taking the weight of the stack, so could I remove the ground floor breast?

The front room chimney is still fully intact in both houses (I need to confirm but have peeped through the window – as they’re away), so this would be providing the main support for the stack as things stand.

I realise I should take this up with a SE but before spending any significant money I wanted some feedback from the forum.

Initially wanted to remove all chimneys but now thinking of scoping down.