choosing the right radiator for replacing 1940mm(w) old radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by khalid jamil, Apr 15, 2014.

1. khalid jamil

khalid jamil New Member

hi
    i want to buy radiator from you but need help to decide. my old radiator size is 1940mm (W) and my pipe gap is 2000mm(W) (plz see the pictures attached). the pipes are steel pipes

should i buy 2000mm or 1800mm??
    1) if i buy 1800mm i will be left with 200mm gap (100mm on each side) ?
    2) if i buy 2000mm will be struggling to fit the radiator valve?
    3) what is the recommended minimum gap beteen the radiator valve and radiator ?

please an early reply will be highly appreciated

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      90.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.JPG
      2.JPG
      File size:
      73.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      86.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

The correct way is to size the radiator to the rooms requirements. They don't look like steel pipes to me. More like 15mm copper.

3. khalid jamil

khalid jamil New Member

Thanks for reply. I do not want to change pipe location. I just want to replace the radiator but standard available radiators are either 1800mm or 2000mm. Need advise which to buy

4. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Go for the smaller one (provided it can supply the correct amount of heat) Yours is a double panel (looks like a type 21) and use a pair of telescopic radiator tails?

Personally, I'd just size the correct radiator for the room and then redo the piping to suit, It will look much better and the radiator will be the correct output.

5. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

myson still make imperial sized rads.

6. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

that isn't an old radiator, looks like Barlo series, and I thinks the measurement goes from value to value (not the TRV or lock valve, but the bleed value) might be wrong. It's like TV when we say 42" ppl thinks it the length when it actually corner to corner of the viewing screen.

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If your replacing radiators then why not take the opportunity to do it properly use an online calculator to work out the heat loss of each room then size your radiators accordingly. A modern radiator is more efficient than the older ones and will give out more heat with a smaller sized rad, therefor it is almost always necessary to alter the pipe work. You did after all ask how to choose the right radiator.

Cheburashka likes this.