Choosing windows

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by K_Barry, Nov 9, 2015.

1. K_Barry

K_Barry New Member

I am trying to choose windows for my new home, and Klassen products caught my eye ( http://klassen24.co.uk/ ). What I am looking for are alu-clad timber windows. Do you think their products will be alright?

2. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

K Barry,
    Really great choice and they will no doubt do what it says on the packet but I'm thinking expensive! I'm a great lover of wood but there are some excellent plastic products out there. I suppose what I'm saying is, is the job price sensitive?

3. K_Barry

K_Barry New Member

Well, I am trying to find windows that will last for years, price is less important than quality ;)

4. If durability is the main criteria, surely PVC (sorry to cus) will win hands down? Or aluminium?

But I suspect the appearance is of equal importance or else you wouldn't be entertaining anything with wood in it... (cue peeps saying that hardwood will outlast plastic. Wot, with no upkeep?)?

I haven't looked through that Klassen website (because my envy glands are overflowing) but in there it must mention what maintenance is required and what guarantee is provided?

In which case, if you can afford them, take it from that.

vivaro man likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Klassen.:eek: Quailty.:)

Also look at triple glazing, it's becoming even more popular over here now, the u value of the windows are even lowerr, down to around 0.6, plus there other benefit, reduce noise pollution.
    Look at Pilkington' EnergiKare' triple glazing glass.

Also look at Composite windows, Andersen,Broxwood,Velfac, several other makes available.

Andersen: http://www.blackmillwork.co.uk/main/products.jsp

Andersen are very fine windows.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
    vivaro man likes this.
  6. (Pssst - I think the OP chust came on here to show off... :rolleyes:)

vivaro man and KIAB like this.
  7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Also have a look at Anderson windows. Not so much Rolls Royce - more BMW/ Merc

vivaro man and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Composite windows,will blow uPVC out of the water for long life, composite windows your looking at 40 years or so, plus you have RAL colour matching,so you have the option of having your frames in thousands of different colours, & finishes like gloss, satin,etc, it's powdercoating so it's a hard wearing finish.
    And you can still have & see the beauty of real wood frames inside.

And you'll find composite windows are being used on listed buildings,& higher class housing nowadays.:)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  9. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

As an installer of commercial Windows / curtain walling id be recommending Velfac quality products :)

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Never, heard of them. Looked them up - a sister company to Velux which immediately gives quite a bit of credibility

and at them moment http://velfac.co.uk/domestic/how-to-buy/Price-match-challenge/

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. Tony1964

Tony1964 New Member

Hello,

From what I’ve heard, this Klassen company offers windows made from timber and aluminium, and to my knowledge, this may make your windows durable and simple to maintain, so why not giving it a try?

Cheers.

13. Tander

Tander New Member

Klassen is a manufacturer well known in Poland, great products.

14. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

and i have NEVER seen a set of pvc windows that looked anything better than hideous , nice old houses dripping in utter gash, ridiculous.

15. Danson

Danson New Member

16. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hmmm, yeah they were really, really nice........

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member