Chrome radiator valve leak. How to remove the cap?

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by aajax, May 13, 2017.

1. aajax

aajax New Member

valve.jpg The valve has suddenly started leaking from underneath the cap. Anyone know how to remove the cap or if it is possible to repair the valve?

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Would think cap will pull off, might be able to repack gland, but easier to replace valve.

3. aajax

aajax New Member

Dont want to drain down system etc at this point . Will be doing that in a few weeks when fitting a new radiator elsewhere in the house.

4. aajax

aajax New Member

By the way I have tried some force to remove the cap and it hasn't budged. Don't want to apply more force unless I know for definite that it should come off.

5. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Does the cap separate? It looks like the section at the very left of your picture might be a lid which would conceal a retaining screw perhaps.

KIAB likes this.
  6. aajax

aajax New Member

I have tried to force a screwdriver into that recess, but no movement. It is hard to tell if it is a decorative recess or not. I was hoping there might be someone who has experience of these valves and knows for certain what comes off and what doesn't. My trial and error approach may cause more damage.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Have known peeps to glue the usally removable cap in place.

8. Grahammcc

Grahammcc Member

I've fitted a few similar looking ones and the very left bit should unscrew then the main cap bit pulls / falls off. The left bit unscrews separately from the main bit.

aajax likes this.
  9. aajax

aajax New Member

Not sure what you mean?

10. aajax

aajax New Member

Thanks, that worked. Now to see if I can fix the leak.

11. romangreek

romangreek New Member

half way down the shaft you will see a gland nut, either gently tighten it in a clockwise direction until the leak stops or turn the valve off and then undue the nut put some rolled up ptfe tape into the threaded area and retighten the nut up again

aajax likes this.
  12. aajax

aajax New Member

Thanks, I had tried prising as I hadn't considered it would be threaded. I have now effected a temporary repair that should do the job . This valve has two 0-rings on the shaft and I have wrapped ptfe around them. Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions.