Cladding - best paint?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by SputnikDinsdale III, Jul 30, 2015.

1. SputnikDinsdale III

SputnikDinsdale III New Member

I need to re-treat the timber cladding on my house. Previously I used Sadolin Extra Durable, but I am now aware of Sadolin ProDec which looks to be a superior product. Has anybody any opinion as to which is best? I'm looking for the best protection and longest durability.

Looking on-line there seems to be no clear description of how these products differ and which might perform best over time. I also noticed that ProDec has a 16 hour time interval between coats which might be inconvenient. I also came across Bedec Barn Paint which was recommended on some forums over ProDec because the recoating time is much shorter. That would be an advantage to me but if it meant the end result was less durable I would probably opt for SuperDec. Or should I stick with Extra Durable which has performed OK in the past, but if there is something better I would go with it??

Any advice or opinions would be appreciated!

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yeah Barn Paint would be a good choice as would Sadolin Superdec, both similar qualities, flexible, non flaking, non peeling and a doddle to apply.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Sadolin Superdec very good product.

4. SputnikDinsdale III

SputnikDinsdale III New Member

Thanks both - I think I will go for the barn paint due to the drying time between coats. I will be using a scaffold tower so want to complete a side in a day so that I can move it on to the next side each day. If I have to wait sixteen hours it will take two days per side or I have to move the towers back and forth. A shame because I liked the claim that Superdec might last 8 years!

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Barn paint will last the same length of time, make sure you prepare well and wash the surfaces to be painted, Sugar soap solution or even Flash is good.