cladding on wall.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by kap, Apr 25, 2017.

1. kap

kap Member

2. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

That stuff locks into a frame.

3. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

You could but it wouldn't be a good idea.

It will be realy difficult to fix it neatly as you would have to plug and screw it. There does need to be a ventilation gap behind the cladding to stop mold and allow moisture to get out. The cladding itself needs to move a little in hot and cold weather the framework helps it do that

4. kap

kap Member

thanks spen123 sospan for your help.

il come up with more ideas for you's.(if you dont mind) .

thanks

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem, what is it you are trying to achieve maybe we can suggest a solution

6. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

I'm not sure if you have bought the cladding but ive just been doing a job using cerdral cladding. It's a fibre cement board that comes in all sorts of colours. Batten off the walls fit your profiles and cladd away. Once fitted it's fit and forget. It's a little more expensive than timber and other products but it's very good.

7. kap

kap Member

on a mate of mine, home, the gable wall of kitchen does not come to the gable of the main building.

ive found this on youtube, its the only picture or image i can find on the whole internet to be of any aid.

if you can play the link the best way to discribe it is at the below play time (if you can skip the rest).
    time play 3.55 - 3.58

so im looking to fill the part from the ridge on the old roof to the guttering part of the new rafters, im thinking of a plastic (if i can call it plastic).

thanks sospan / spen123.

Attached Files:

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

PVC cladding on membrane then timber frame would be fine. However, I guess there is a problem with depth - the battens and cladding will protrude too much ?

If that is the case you could always try a latex plaster or even a thick textured paint which will hide the block work and give a waterproof finish

9. kap

kap Member

yes i / we think there's a problem with depth, could we paint the block work (water proof paint, like you say,) then get some .. shiplap clad , & use the membrane <with-out the timber work> fix the clad onto the block direct with screw bolts (are they 8mm bolt head screws, dont know the name of them.)
    or use a sofit board with the same fixing.
    thanks sospan

Attached Files: