Clarke XET19 Compressor keeps tripping me 50a RCD Help please?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Big Bad Adam from Scotland, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Hi:(

I have an air compressor by Clarke XET19 it says it needs a 40AMP power to it

I am using a Wylex NH Consumer Unit MCB NHXB50 Single Pole 50A Type B Curve Circuit Breaker FITTED Inside my Wylex 10 way consumer unit fitted around 2014

The consumer unit says total load not to exceed 100 amps

Can a qualified sparky tell me, do I need a new more powerfull consumer unit fitted? By a qualified sparky, there is no way id be doing this?

Or is there another reason why it could keep tripping?

Cables look good, earthed and no tears etc, all wired 100%, on my own guess its overloaded? Or is it the wrong RCD 50A? do I need a 40a RCD? I did try it in the 32a RCD but this also tripped straight away!

Any advice appreciated from proper sparkys please

Attached Files:

2. Nicholbe

Nicholbe Member

ITs a 4 hp motor so about 3kw running , at start up it can draw 3 to 5 x current for some time, which could be exceeding the 40 amp mcb, you may need to consider a type C rather than type B , which has greater starting current capacity. YOu will need a electrician to fit new mcb and allow him to look at installation, cable size ( l assume nothing else is on this circuit) and to check resistances etc. ALternatively he may suggest a 50 amp type B.

3. Nicholbe

Nicholbe Member

Sorry just noted you already have a 50 amp breaker, the electrician will also need to look at cu layout regarding circuits on your Rcd you have a couple of rings plus shower ? So may have problem when air compressor cuts in.

4. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

A C40 would be what is required, but cable sizes would need checking. Looks like 6mm. Long run? Through a loft?

5. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

I would consider installing this on the non-RCD side of the board, or if not possible, using a separate board.
    There's no requirement for RCD protection.

6. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Could be a faulty MCB but you need a spark too test.

What is tripping the RCD or the MCB?

China made products dont always tell the truth about the current values.

7. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

Adam, has this just started causing a problem, or is it a new install.

I had a prob' some time ago & found the Earth was not good enough.

8. Hi

I made a video on youtube of the Clarke XET19

Ive fitted a 1 x Wylex 50A Single Pole Type B MCB 6kA (66679) on the consumer unit, genuine new MCB

From sfix

The Main Consumer Unit Trips! not the new 50A MCB

Any ideas?

Cable to the compressor from the 50a switch in red, you see photos? IS WHITE 3 X CORE Same thickness as on compressor, and is around 10m in length, the 50a MCB is not shared!

9. fire

fire Well-Known Member

tube Linx please

10. sorry here is 2 x new pics
    40a switch
    and my MCB Not that trips just the main unit RCD
    AND

Attached Files:

11. fire

fire Well-Known Member

ooooooook

12. TOTAL LOAD not too exceed 100AMPS, Says this on the consumer unit

When i SWITCHED OFF THE RCD on the RIGHT Hand side, the ones on the LEFT Side di NOT TRIP and the compressor was getting power to it, but still wouldnt start, its says on internet the XET19 needs a 40amp to it and i have a 50amp fitted

I suspect the Consumer Unit is not good enough i.e. 100amps max, is this the problem?:eek:

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No that is not the problem at all. The 100 amps is usually the rating of the main switch, in fact most domestic type c/units are of that type.

14. Well that clears that up, im thinking its the compressor as when i got power too it, it wouldnt even start?

Tomorrow i will take a piccy of inside unit

Also emailed Clarke

I cant see whats up,

do you think its a wiring problem? CU Problem? MCB problem? or compressor?

if i switch of the right RCD the left works, to me its overload but im no sparky

Attached Files:

15. Lectrician

Classic neutral being in the wrong neutral bar.

16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

RCD's don't trip on overload, they only respond to N-E or L-E faults, check the neutral bar connections as Lec said.

17. Nicholbe

Nicholbe Member

I would have thought incorrect wiring would have been discovered after the checking of the new installation of the new circuit.
    However to be more constructive this does again highlight ' development' through the thread.

Is it worth the forum generating a simple 6 to 10 point list of items that should be checked off by new posters to ensure their questions are framed effectively.

E.g.

Have they checked previous questions
    Is it a new installation or a fault with previous working one.
    If a component is failing / tripping what is it exactly , complete with model number.
    What tests have been conducted,
    Include photo where possible

Others I am sure can add a few common themes,

This may enable a more focussed response / resolution.

18. What a boring reply Nicolabe, YAWN! Go back to bed! electrocuted-guy.jpg 12968090_937006503015454_4476820383020900262_o.jpg

big thanks to each member in replying, i made a new video, see if anyone spots my "N" Wire? my next guess would take it too the right side where they are more free terminals?

19. Lectrician

The neutral is the wrong neutral bar. It should be in the 1-5 on the left. Three neutral bars, one for the left hand RCD, one for the right. The third is for the main switch, but no MCB there.

Neutral is 100% in the wrong bar. 1-5 should correspond with MCB 1-5 on each RCD. Neutrals are not the incorrect order, which isn't a huge problem, unless they are in the wrong bar, which yours is.

20. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Yep Neutral terminated in the wrong Neutral bar.
    The three Neutral bars are there for the two RCDs and the main switch.
    The Neutral bar on the right has nothing connected because you have no non-RCD circuits.
    Such circuits would be between the main switch and the RCD closest to the main switch.
    The middle Neutral bar (the one you have connected the blue wire to, is for the RCD closest to the main switch.
    The Neutral bar on the left is for the left hand RCD.
    It is full up, because you have 6 MCBs protected by the RCD 5 plus the compressor.
    Remove the blue wire from where it is terminated in the middle Neutral bar and terminate it in the left hand bar.
    You may find it easier to terminate, if you remove the wire from terminal 5 and terminate that wire in terminal 4 along with the wire already terminated in terminal 4.