Click Clack bath waste connection

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Geoffm1066, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Geoffm1066

Geoffm1066 New Member

Hello all

I have fitted a click clack outlet to our bath however the shallow 40mm trap ( McAlpine type ) screws onto to the threaded outlet pipe but fails to make a water tight seal, I have fitted a new O ring washer but the water still dribbles out around the collar, its not cross threaded either.
    The trap is the same one that fitted OK to the old waste outlet but I've noticed the that the pipe end of the trap does not slip inside the waste outlet and only butts against the outlet pipe hence I guess why I'm not getting a water tight seal.
    Is their a special bath trap that fits the click clack waste?

Geoff

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

Are you missing a fibre washer where the end of the trap butts against the outlet pipe?

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

ramseyman likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Penny just dropped, too early, got some photo's.

On Mcalpine trap the should be the locking ring, a red/blue washer, & a taperd black washer which all fit on waste pipe in the order as below.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

It's leaking from the connection to bath waste Kiab not other end (40mm waste, tapered washer, etc)

May be a bodge but remove washer and put a slight chamfer around the pipe where it meets the bath waste, using sandpaper. Take a look before tightening up if washer now sits on face of bath waste. Sounds like the washer isn't making full contact with the bath waste, even when done up tight

Know what you mean, some traps have maybe just 2 mm that sits inside threaded waste

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ah! BSP end:rolleyes:, so it could be the bath outlet not seating correctly & water is weeping out, I reseat the bath outlet first, as you don't usually getting sealing problems with a Q10.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Geoff ,I have come across this a few times. the inside diameter of the waste is a tad too small ,and stops the trap from going up inside it the mm or 2. that it needs to allow the seal to be in contact. you can. change to another manufacturers trap or carefully file around the mcalpine one that you have.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last resort,agree could be a burr on bath outlet causing grief,but you shouldn't need to file any McAlpine trap to get it to fit,remove bath outlet & try with trap, still reckon bath outlet is not sealing properly.

9. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

kiab it is not the trap ,although the collar /lug on theirs is slightly wider than other makers, its the waste inside diameter is a bit too small. it is the lug on top of the collar that he can ease down the circumference of and it will fit. I. have had to do it a few times ,to save having to leave site to get a trap that fits. the amount of junk fittings that are coming into UK is sadly ever. increasing .regards terry

10. Geoffm1066

Geoffm1066 New Member

Wow, fantastic responses thank you all, I shall remove click clack and trap and fit together to see if they are compatible if not I'll try the file on the end of the trap to get it to slip inside and use a sealer as an additional washer.

11. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

Geoff , what do you mean sealer as additional washer ? you only need one rubber washer between trap and underside of waste. it is not an "o" ring ( circular on cross section ) it is flat and square in cross section. you should fit a new one ,not try to re use the old one.

12. Geoffm1066

Geoffm1066 New Member

Just took it out and there is no flat washer, found a flat washer and fitted it together ok now refitted to bath and all looks ok no leaks.
    Than you all for your rapid responses and help much appreciated
    Geoff