click laminate flooring in a kitchen

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by stuhub, Nov 20, 2016.

1. stuhub

stuhub New Member

After having been let down too many times by people who have told me "its an easy job and they will do it in half a day", I am seriously contemplating laying my own laminate floor in my kitchen.

I know I have to remove the plinth and trim this down to take up the thickness of the laminate - my question is how to deal with where the end panels come down to the floor - I'm guessing I should 'scribe' a piece out of the laminate to accommodate this. I was thinking maybe I could use a multi cutter and cut away the bottom of the end panel and slide the laminate underneath.

Any tips, hints or ideas would be gratefully appreciated...... TIA

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Laminate isn't a good idea in a kitchen.

GoodwithWood likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Why ??
    Got it my kitchen, just need to make sure you use a moisture proof type.

4. stuhub

stuhub New Member

Howcomes please?I have gone for the stuff thats supposed to be suitable for wet areas - had it in my last 2 kitchens with no issues.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If you can, take end panels off, run flooring through and under, then trim and refit.

koolpc and tore81 like this.
  6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I tend to start in door ways now as they can be fiddling finishing off under them.

They are often a thing to thing about.

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Laminate must have improved since the last time I laid any.

9. Phil the Paver

The stuff I got has rubber strips on the joints to aid sealing.

10. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

Get some "Clic seal"... such as from here; https://www.amazon.co.uk/Unika-Click-125ml-Laminate-waterproof-x/dp/B0060XZ1AU
    It's also available from suppliers on eBay...

I've used it twice, on two different kitchen floors now. It's brilliant!

It's not an adhesive... you squeeze it in the grove before clicking the "tonge" into place... it just makes an effective waterproof seal.

Good luck,

Regards,

Cando

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Last time I laid any I had to glue it together.

12. Phil the Paver

No good on B groove or bevel edge boards, which all the best boards are. :):):):)

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Got laminate in our kitchen and bathroom. Was in when we bought the house

14. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

Blimey Chip, were you fitting it in a cave? ;)

I'm with Chippie on this though. I won't fit it in our kitchen again. Having a dishwasher leak that didn't come to light until the floor started buckling (note moisture resistant is exactly that, not waterproof) I'd fit tiles or one of the new vinyls if over a concrete floor.

15. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I've fitted Aquastep a few times and never had any problem although it's a tad expensive. It's waterproof as it appears to be totally man-made, but effect is equivalent to engineered laminate. Would be very wary of wood laminate even if dampproof as risk of spillage/leak in a bathroom or kitchen is reasonably high.

Steve Banks likes this.
  16. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Would second Ramseyman's advice. Aquastep flooring is made fully out of plastic. Totally waterproof. Made for use in kitchens and bathrooms.

17. Anyhoo, when you lot are quite finished...

StuHub - do you know if these 'end panels' are actually the sides of these end units, or are they decorative panels added afterwards?

Ie - do your units have telescopic legs under them to hold them off the floor?

If the have legs, then you should be able to remove these end panels without too much difficulty - and the base units will (should...) stay where they are. However, if these end panels are the actual 'sides' of the units, then you may need to support the unit's bottom to keep them in place whilst you trim off the bottom edge of the panel to allow the laminate to slip under.

I doubt you'll be able to unscrew and remove an actual unit side 'cos they are assembled with can fittings and stuff which can be hard to get to.

An alternative would be to take the laminate up to within a few mm of the sides and then fit a decorative trim over it (as you'd have to do with skirtings if they ain't removed first).

But, trim it in situ if you can. Bear in mind the unit might be 'sitting' on that side panel... :rolleyes:

tore81 likes this.
  18. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

You tell em DA! :D

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  19. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select

20. I know - such an unruly bunch at times.

You wouldn't catch me getting involved in such lengthy discussions... :rolleyes: