Climbing frame preserver rubs off

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by simonkbike, May 14, 2016.

1. simonkbike

simonkbike New Member

Evening all,

I've refurbished a wooden climbing frame for the grand-children and used some decorative wood preserver (from back of shed - yes, I know I should have thought first) to protect it. Now, when you rub the timber, the colour comes off on clothes & hands - not very child (or mum) friendly.
    It's a spirit-based decking preservative with, I suspect, some wax content, as instruction say don't try overpainting until it's weathered for a few months.

Any suggestions what I can do to seal in the colour (thinking maybe wax polish?) before I get a right b*llocking.

Simon

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

You could try a rag soaked with white spirit to rub over it and remove the worst.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wax polish on a climbing frame? Kamikaze kids?

If you wiped over with white spirit as said, and allowed to dry, no doubt it would then take a matt varnish or something!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. simonkbike

simonkbike New Member

Oh come on Andy - got no sense of adventure?
    Actually it's only the verticals which are wood; all the horizontals are metal.

Thanks for suggestions. In the end I did some research and tried a couple of thin coats of Teak Oil and that seems to be doing the trick.

Really want to avoid a hard varnish finish - I've a very large picnic table/bench (seats 10) outside that my dad kindly varnished when I wasn't keeping tabs on him. Now it's all peeling and I've a major job to strip it all off and re-finish. If the preserver/teak oil works I might just use that again.
    S.