cold feed filling tank from cylinder

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by paul plumber, May 9, 2015.

1. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

i tried changing all the mixer taps but its still the same

2. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

What do you mean, more info?

3. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

The cold feed from tank to cylinder is getting warm and back filling cwst

4. plumber-boy

Is this an indirect cylinder?
    What heating system do you have vented or sealed?

5. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

Vented ,indirect massive system feeds 20 plus taps

6. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

sorry not the coil checked it ,its ok

7. plumber-boy

Defo sounds like mains back feed then..

8. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

Yes i thought that after i found coil was ok so changed the tmv.the return also was getting cold so was sure it was that.have you ever come accross a blocked vent?

9. plumber-boy

I've known the hot supply to become slightly blocked and reduce flow at the top of the cylinder..

10. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

Aggghhh now the hot flow to new taps is very poor i was going to change some old gate valves for ball valves.So this could cure the fault?am i on the right track?

11. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

have you tried pressurizing the hot with the cold water across the taps in case its an air lock ?

12. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

Another plumber has been doing that for 5 years.But it didn't used to back feed up the cold.I have put air valve at top of cylinder.I think it's had lots of faults and I am working my way through them.Do you not thing it could be the gate valves cruded up ?

13. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Sorry, did you say the cold main is back filling the cold tank through the cyl? What is system info? Is it a nursing home? Have you mains, boosted, pumped or gravity hot/cold? Are supplies balanced? Have you blending valves everywhere or have you disabled bathrooms?

14. G&W Plumbing & Heating

It's nothing to do with gate valves pal

15. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

It's a clinic had ten mixer valves I changed them for mixer taps.The old taps where spray type anyway so had to go.mains not pumped comes in 3 inch pipe.cylinder hot has a pump on the return.So not equal pressure the cylinder is gravity.yes cold back filling tank it is also warming tank up.When water not used at night it's much worse

16. G&W Plumbing & Heating

You can't put internally blended mixer taps on mains/gravity supplies my friend, the mains will push down the hot,

17. G&W Plumbing & Heating

The hot return has nothing to do with the pressure, that is just a circulator for cold dead legs,

18. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

Could the flow be nearly blocked?

19. paul plumber

paul plumber New Member

The taps are reliance TMV 3 Blender taps.We use them cause there rated for this application £280 each come with check valves are they not fit for purpose?

20. G&W Plumbing & Heating

No it's nothing to do with that, the pressure on a gravity hot is (depending on head) around 0.5-1.0 bar max! Mains is 3-7 bar, it's pushing the hot through the tap as its trying to reach its static pressure,