Cold radiator help please

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by emmmmmmmm, Nov 8, 2014.

1. emmmmmmmm

emmmmmmmm New Member

Hello,

Obvs I'm not a plumber - hope it's ok to post asking for advice!

We've turned the heating on for the first time this year and a (newish) radiator in one of the bedrooms is stone cold. Last year it was super hot. Now, nothing. Even the pipes to the radiator are cold.

Here's what I've done so far:

bled all of the radiators
    tried balancing them
    turned off all other radiators and just left this one on. had the heating on for two hours but still nothing.

oh, I also tried turning the dial thing that isn't the thermostat one but that didn't do anything!

Any help greatly appreciated as that room feels like a freezer!

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

yes its ok to ask on here,
    make sure the valves on the cold rad are fully open, close all the other rads then go to your cylinder and turn the balacing valve on the return ( bottom) off , check rad, if still cold turn the bypass off stay near for a second in case things start to bang and shudder, if all quiet check the rad a gain,

FatHands likes this.
  3. emmmmmmmm

emmmmmmmm New Member

thanks for your reply. how would i turn the bypass off?

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

can you post a pic of your cylinder cupboard where the pump and motorized valve/s are? I can better explain if i know what system you have,

5. Does the radiator have a TRV? Has the TRV been turned off over summer? If so then it is not uncommon for the pin in the TRV to be stuck down (ie the valve is off). Take TRV head off and check that the pin moves.

FatHands likes this.
  6. emmmmmmmm

emmmmmmmm New Member

tom.plum do you mean post a pic of my boiler? (sorry if that's not what you mean!) http://imgur.com/vaNrk2F

NoOhmToGoTo - that's the dial with the numbers on yeah? it has one of those. it's a new style rad. i will try taking the head off tomorrow.

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

ok thanks, you've got a combi system so the bypass is built in so forget that, it looks like noohms2go to is on the money, the trv on the rad is stuck, ;)

8. emmmmmmmm

emmmmmmmm New Member

hello, i tried the TVR thing and it did seem a bit stuck but it now moves up and down freely and the rad is still cold :( any ideas of what else i can try?

9. emmmmmmmm

emmmmmmmm New Member

scrap that - just checked it again and it IS working! must have just taken some time to heat up :) thank you for all of the help