Cold radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Pusscatty, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Pusscatty

Pusscatty New Member

I have a radiator in the house (gravity feed), situated in the upstairs bathroom. It is the only radiator in the house. The water is heated by a solid fuel stove downstairs. The stove produces plenty of hot water in the bath taps but the radiator is stone cold. Both the inlet and outlet radiator valves are open, and I have bled the top valve with the key several times. The plumbers have fixed the airlock in the past by a special order of opening the inlet and outlet valves one at a time but I didn't see how they did it. They are too busy to come at the moment!

2. Hi Pc.

Any idea where the airlock is located? I mean, is there a run of pipe going to that rad which is pretty much horizontal - or even completely level? If so, it might be worth asking the plumber (if he agrees it's a good idea) to insert a 'tee' in there with a short length of pipe coming vertically oot t'top with an air valve on the end. This would hopefully release any future trapped air.

Anyhoo, how to shift that air lock now? Other than forcing water through the pipes using a hose connected to the cold mains tap (eg - kitchen tap), the only other way I can think of would be to try and encourage as much water as possible to flow to the rad so's it takes the bubble of air along with it.

If you open both rads valves at the same time when bleeding, there's a good chance that only one pipe is actually supplying the water that escapes out that bleed valve. So I think I'd try closing off each valve in turn, and checking to see if the bleed valve still has water squirting out it.

Hopefully you'll find that having one valve open provides a nice squirt of water, but the other one perhaps chust a slow trickle. In which case I'd be suspecting the pipe that supplies the 'trickle'.

So, keep that one valve fully open, and then also fully undo and remove that bleed screw (buckets and towels at the ready...)

(The best outcome would be if it started off as a trickle, but after a couple of minutes the flow would start to increase - possibly with an air shlurp amongst it - signifying a 'cure'...)

What to do then if bleeding just this 'slow' end doesn't produce an improvement?

I guess, if the trickle doesn't improve, then you may need to encourage it further by not only opening the bleed screw fully but by also undoing the whole screw-in plug the bleed screw is fitted in to. (Of course there's a good chance that the bleed screw goes straight in to the rad with no surrounding 'plug', in which case you can't do this.)

If you can undo that plug, then expect a lot of water to come out, so be ready to get that plug back in if you think it's sorted. (Don't forget you can shut off the flow at any time by turning off that rad valve again...)

Can't think of any other easily DIYable solution...

3. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I think the trick you mean is...
    When you bleed the radiator, you have to first close one valve and bleed the radiator long enough to draw the water along the pipe from the primary pipes,

then do the same withe the other valve.

Another trick, is to close both valves, take out the air vent, and then turn each valve one at a time, to draw the water up the pipes, that's where the air lock is, in the pipes not the radiator

It's easier to have some help, holding a bowl ,

Regards
    Peter

4. Pusscatty

Pusscatty New Member

Thanks. I'll try that. Not sure where the air vent is, though, or even whether we've got one. It just look like the two main valves and the bleed screw on the radiator itself.

5. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    its the bleed screw on the radiator!
    that's why we close one valve on the radiator, then when you bleed the radiator, for a minute or so,
    the water will come from the pipe work not just the radiator

hope that's clear?

regards
    peter