Cold room above garage

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by AHaldane50, Dec 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. AHaldane50

AHaldane50 New Member

The house was built in 1991 and the garage ceiling is closed in, so I assume insulated to the regulations at the time. The room above is colder than other rooms and I thought to add and extra layer of insulation to the garage ceiling. For simplicity & DIY I was think of a foil roll (like YBS multifoil) stapled to the ceiling. Would this be enough to make a difference?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Maybe its not insulated like you think!

3. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

it will probably help, do you know if there's any insulation already there ? if you know there's not then i would say ceiling down and redone with decent insulation

4. AHaldane50

AHaldane50 New Member

I Don't know and don't really want to start opening up as that would be a much bigger job for me.

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Triso 10 is the stuff to use, its the equivalent of 210mm of Rockwool yet is only 10mm thick hence the name, not cheap though but very good.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The main problem with foil insulation is that you have to plasterboard over them to meet fire regs - you never know someone may park a Zafira in the garage ;)

FatHands and Joe95 like this.
  7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Unfortunately many houses suffer this problem with cold rooms above garages.
    How big is the garage ceiling?

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Or even a Corsa, looking at the news earlier. :eek::eek::eek:

9. AHaldane50

AHaldane50 New Member

It is a double garage.
    If we assume the builders have done their job and the existing ceiling is to fire restrictions etc. Would we still need to plasterboard over the foil?
    I can imagine the insulation is minimal in the ceiling as the loft originally only had 100mm and we added another 200mmm after a few years to make it effective.
    If we were going to go the insulated board route and cover the whole ceiling is this normally done by a joiner or other tradesman?

10. peter297

peter297 New Member

Not sure which multifoil you are considering, I have recently insulated all of our walls with their Superquilt. Too early to calculate energy savings but it does have a huge effect, (the house warms up a lot quicker and holds temperature a lot longer). Installed as per the instructions I understand the void created either side by battening is required for it to work effectively. From experience it doesn't simply staple - without care the staple either pulls out of the batten as it regains its shape or tears through, (decent staples and staple gun). What covers the garage ceiling, staples won't hold it to plasterboard.