Colour match

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Kelly Cormack, Sep 23, 2014.

1. Kelly Cormack

Kelly Cormack New Member

Hi

I have replaced my pine doors with interior glass pine doors and need to match them with my skirtings & facings, which were pine and been varnished clear although they were varnished clear they have darkened over the last 11 years. I was thinking mixing a hint of antique pine with clear to match the colour. Any idea would be much appreciated.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes that sounds a good blend, are the skirtings now a honey colour? Try the mix on a spare piece of pine first though. :)

3. Kelly Cormack

Kelly Cormack New Member

Yes I guess they are. Can't believe how they've darkend. I had to do this to new skirtings we put on when we laid laminate in the hallway and it came up fine but I'm nervous about doing the doors also can't remember the ratio...also don't know if I should use non yellowing varnish

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you could use the same varnish as used previously that would be better as a non yellowing (acrylic) varnish will not darken with age.

5. Kelly Cormack

Kelly Cormack New Member

Yeah I thought that. Thanks for the advice.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You could try rubbing antique pine into the doors first with a cloth, before varnishing with clear.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Kelly Cormack

Kelly Cormack New Member

Oh never thought of that, thank u.