Combi boiler DHW question

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by NoviceMan, Aug 25, 2016.

1. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Hi Guys

Got a 2 yr old ideal combi bolier with a tempest hot water storage tank. From my basic understanding I believe it's to help with the hot delay experience with combos at the taps and also high flow rates where combi alone may not provide hot enough water. Hopefully this understanding is correct.

My question is when on summer setting the water is always luke warm but I keep on winter and use programmer to only bring on hot water then the water in tank gets heated. However is this right ? Am I missing a trick here (in house when I bought ) also it still takes a while at taps before hot comes through so I fail to see the benefit ???

Please can someone enlighten me

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

The Tempest is a unvented cylinder,does it get an annual service in line with the requirements of the G3 building regulations relating to hot water systems, at the same time as the combi is service.

What litre capicity is the cylinder you have.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  3. NoviceMan

NoviceMan New Member

Bought house 4 months ago it was there I believe it and boiler have services and I will keep these up of cpurse it's a 220 ltr

But my question is why do I not see a benefit from this ie instant hot water yeah sure it's hotter than combi alone but I still wait some 15 secs or more to get a hot flow so is it faulty or is this standard

Also it's controlled via boiler and therefore always needs the boiler winter setting with rads plus water and the programmer to be on for it to heat is this correct functioning ?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

The cylinder is there as a store of hot water, in the same way as a traditional hot tank. If the cylinder is fairly close to your boiler it will take exactly the same time to flush the cold water out of the tap as the boiler would, you won't get instant hot water at the taps wit it if that is what you are looking for.

The cylinder will need heated from the boiler to create the hot water in the first place, it is possible on summer setting the cylinder is not being heated and what you see at the taps is a mix of cold water from the cylinder and hot water from the combi combined to luke warm.

There will be an inlet/outlet valves on the cylinder, turn them off and try the hot water at the tap. if it's now hot you know the problem. If it is still luke warm it would suggest the boiler is not raising the temperature sufficiently, that could just be the setting on the dial?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A system boiler like a Vaillant ecoTEC Plus 630, would have been a better choice than a combi with a unvented cylinder.

6. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

If you have a combi the hot will serve an outlet, the htg is then used as the primary's, they zone off for hot water & htg, if you have a weather compensator this will not work as the flow temp is reduced based on external air temp, other wise it should work fine as long as the boiler stat is up, in any case I don't like this arrangement but have seen it many times, what's the point in having a combi, just take it all from the Cyl, fit a hot return, bobs ya uncle, mains fed balanced supplies with no cold dead legs and also if your running the hot demand from the boiler the primary's stop for the cyl demand