Combi Boiler Flue Regs - is this right?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by moleymoleymoley, Apr 27, 2016.

1. moleymoleymoley

moleymoleymoley New Member

Looking for someone to back this up if possible, please...

Just had BG engineer out as per homecare agreement to do a 'service' on our boiler. We had the boiler installed by a local gas safe engineer about 18 months ago so it's the first service.

The BG engineer has reported that the flue joints have not been screwed in as per manufacturer instruction and that the flue is incorrectly supported. The flue itself is vertical, then goes diagonal then vertical again. It is supported on the diagonal but no clips have been installed on the two vertical pieces. The BG engineer stated that every length & change of direction must have a clip installed.

He has said that I need to get the installer out to put it right as he hasn't done it properly in the first place, and he should have known this.

He also told me that we would not be covered under house insurance in the event of a fault and possible damage, hence I am a bit concerned.

Is this scaremongering or does it really need sorting?
    He's turned boiler off (stated he is meant to as its his job to in this scenario).

Don't mind giving the guy who fitted it a call to get him back to sort it but wanted to know if this really is a problem or if more has been made out of it than needed.

2. Make and model of boiler? (The installation instructions usually cover the flue requirements too.)

Scaremongering? About the clips - possibly. I dunno.

About the house insurance - definitely. The guy's an a***.

moleymoleymoley likes this.
  3. moleymoleymoley

Cheers for the reply!
    The boiler is a Vaillant ecotec plus. The paperwork for the flue states "fix each extension with at least one pipe bracket". I am assuming that each section is an extension, so 2 vertical, 1 diagonal. On that basis, I assume that the BG engineer is correct in stating it is not fitted correctly per manufacturer's instructions.

On the note of abiding by gas safe regs i'm not sure, and was hoping someone here could tell me if this is correct.

We have a baby on the way (due in June), so obviously want to ensure we are covered by house insurance etc in the event of there being a problem...

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  5. moleymoleymoley

Screws are fitted to the one bracket that is in place. The query is around whether brackets should be fitted to the other two extensions.

Judging by the MI's it suggests so. Balls to it i will give the guy a call who fitted it and get him back out.

6. That is the thing to do - no question.

It's a pain, but don't feel 'bad' about doing this - the guy should have done this in the first place. If he hums and haws, just give him a baleful look in the eye...

But don't worry meantime either - it is extremely unlikely that it's actually 'dangerous'.

But, the guy has to do it.

Hopefully he'll be contrite and will chust say "Fair do's - many would consider it over-kill, but - yes - it is what the guidance says..."

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Where is Dave.:)

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

This is one of his jobs so he's keeping quiet. :p:p

Deleted member 33931 and KIAB like this.