Combi Boiler Hot Water

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Daveboy23, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Daveboy23

Daveboy23 New Member

Hi all, I have a Baxi/potterton 30 HE and the hot water will only run enough to fill a sink. Then switches off for a minute then starts again enough to fill the sink. What I have noticed is the pressure guage goes up and down quickly when the hot water is asked for. It did not do that before so assume thats pointing towards a problem. Any ideas what it could be?

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Its either the thermistor failed or you have scale in the plate heat exchanger

3. Daveboy23

Daveboy23 New Member

Hi Dave I have just ordered a new thermister from ebay as we dont have scale in this part of the uk.
    I will let you know how it goes. cheers

4. Dave does Gas

Its not scale from the water side but usually muck from your heating side that causes the issue. Two remedies:-
    One, replace the plate heat exchanger but clean your heating circuit and add an inhibitor.
    Two, remove and descale the plate heat exchanger using Fernox DS3 and again clean your system
    You could add a magnetic device to help something along the lines of a Magnaclean Pro 2

5. Daveboy23

Daveboy23 New Member

Well the thermister should be here by Tuesday so I will try that first, it was only £3.50 delivered. If that dont work I will descale
    the heat exchanger. Not sure if its the right thing as although the boiler is only 8 years old it ran non stop for 7 of those.
    It was my Aunts house so needed to be kept at a constant 1,0000000 degrees at all times.
    Might just need a new one fitted. We shall see. Will let you know how it goes, cheers.

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

'only 8 years old' is middle aged for a boiler today, if you get 8 more, potterton will come with a white van and a team of men will pull it apart to look where they went wrong :oops:

7. Dave does Gas

Daveboy, do not get the main heat exchanger and the plate heat exchanger confused. Its one plate heat exchanger that heats up your water via the main exchanger the problem will be in the plate heat exchanger.

Tom not sure that Baxi will allow Potterton out of the warehouse which is a shame as they were one of the good companies in their day.

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

TBH Dave I like Baxi/Pott, when i fitted boilers i always recommended Baxi/Potterton/Main as they are a good budget boiler, cheaper than the german giants,easy to fit,easy to service and repair,the parts are readily available and cheaper than german parts and there's no plastic parts, I have a baxi 105 combi in my house and its been chugging away since I fitted it in 2007, yes ,yes.yes I know it was illegal to fit one then but i got it cheap ( £375) brand new with flue and delivered, never serviced,no filter,no adatives it delivers hot water all day at 13 lpm , I never registered it as i don't want the Baxi sales white van and the white coated men coming here,:oops:

Dave does Gas likes this.