Combined Drill & Impact Driver Opinions

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by olimortimer, Nov 29, 2015.

1. olimortimer

olimortimer New Member

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a twin pack of a combo drill and impact driver, for DIY home use, and looking for opinions on what's on offer.

I will be using them for home DIY, but I also do a lot of work on my own cars, so would use the impact driver to zip up bolts before I properly torque them up using a torque wrench.

My uncle in law pointed me towards the DeWalt twin pack that Screwfix has on offer, as he uses this day to day as a plasterer / builder for the past 3 years, and can't fault it (other than buying a higher Ah battery):

DeWalt 14.4V 1.5Ah - £150 (was £200)
    http://m.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dck2...bi-drill-impact-driver-xr/35109?filtered=true

However, looking at other makes on offer, there are 18V options, as well as other 14.4V options available for under the £200 mark - I was looking to spend about £150, but happy to go to £200 if it means a better product in the long run.

Erbauer 18V 2.0Ah - £140
    http://m.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-er1...combi-drill-impact-driver/7201g?filtered=true

Hitachi 18V 1.5Ah - £170
    http://m.screwfix.com/p/hitachi-kc1...combi-drill-impact-driver/2283f?filtered=true

Bosch 18V 1.5Ah - £180
    http://m.screwfix.com/p/bosch-18v-1...combi-drill-impact-driver/2903f?filtered=true

Bosch 18V 1.5Ah - £190 (same as above?)
    http://m.screwfix.com/p/bosch-06159...combi-drill-impact-driver/2525h?filtered=true

I know on paper 18V is better than 14.4V, and a higher Ah gives more battery life, but we all know it can be different in the real world due to manufacturers of the tool and batteries.

I was hoping someone might be able to offer some advise on things like makes to stay clear of etc.

I'm not interested in what the tools come in (bag, box etc), as that will just get binned or thrown in the loft - why don't they offer packs without all the packaging?

Cheers!

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I would give the Erbauer a miss...mainly on the grounds of longer term backup with spares/batteries etc.
    Everyone will have their own experiences and preferences when it comes to brands and you'd prob be quite surprised how powerful the lower voltage kit is. I've got a 10.8v bosch twin pack which does me day to day for the majority of tasks with the advantage that its nice and light and not too bulky when you're in a tight spot .

olimortimer and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

+1

olimortimer likes this.
  4. olimortimer

olimortimer New Member

Thanks for the info.

Something about the Erbauer was making me go off that one, and the same with the Hitachi.

Still very tempted by the DeWalt, but is it worth paying the extra £30 to go from DeWalt 14.4V to Bosch 18V? Looking at an additional 0.4Kg weight on each Bosch.

DeWalt
    DCD735 Combi Drill: Max. torque 57Nm hard / 20Nm soft. Weight 1.5kg.
    DCF835 Impact Driver: Max. torque 150Nm. Weight 1.3kg.

Bosch
    GSB18V-Li Combi Drill: Max. torque: 67Nm hard / 28Nm soft. Weight 1.9kg.
    GDR18-LI Impact Driver: Max. torque: 130Nm. Impact rate: 0-3000bpm. Weight: 1.7kg.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Tiny01

Tiny01 Member

Makita brushless all day long

7. olimortimer

olimortimer New Member

That might be the case, but at £350 it's slightly more than my £150-£200 DIY budget.

8. olimortimer

olimortimer New Member

Unfortunately, as above, even with discounts they are out of my price range.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

18V and not Erbauer

10. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Do you really need cordless,if you are working at home? Now that I am retired,my kit is 240v,apart from an old Makita drill/driver for quick jobs. I bought a 240v Makita impact driver to screw ply to a floor before tiling...Great bit of kit for about £75. Just think what you need...Not what you would like .;)

11. olimortimer

olimortimer New Member

If I only ever bought what I needed, rather than what I would like, it would be very boring ;)

12. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

13. gazrobbo

gazrobbo New Member

This looks too good to be true. Looks like this model is made only for BQ. Also strange that it says the batteries won't work with any other variant.
    Im looking for something like this myself. But don't want to end up with a low quality one. Will it be upto makitas normal standard.

I was about to buy the makita 10.8v pair until I saw the 18v ones at BQ

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Prob best to steer clear. Always loads of good deals online, FFX, Amazon etc.

15. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Go for an impact driver with 1/2 drive for sockets. Like the Metabo 400BL. Its only slightly heavier than the SSD 18LTX200 but packs 400Nm of impact power compared to the 200 150Nm.
    And the 400 has 12 speed setings compared to the 3 on the 200.
    Then just fit a 1/4" hex adaptor.

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

New batteries just launched by Metabo are the 6.2Ah LiHD. Supposed to be the dogs danglies.

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

If you're just doing woodwork the 10.8 V Makita's are great, if you need to drill holes in walls or anything heavy duty then go for the 18 V.

18. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

I have the Hitachi combi set up, bought from Screwfix. The impact driver is great, but the drill is dreadful; underpowered (nowhere near as powerful as the dewalt 14.4v) and the chuck keeps loosening itself. Also the latches keep falling off the case.

If I had the choice, I would return the Hitachi and go for DeWalt.

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Dewalt have released batteries with Bluetooth - so that they can be tracked on site or more like it the caf or bookies

20. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Just got the SF sale flyer through

They are doing the Bosch 18v twin for £150 2903F and a Dewalt 14.4v for £150 35109

What would be the best option for general DIY?