Combisave.... any good?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by plane-it, Apr 19, 2014.

1. plane-it

plane-it Member

Anyone had any experience with Combisave devices?

2. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Please reiterate

3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Are we talking about the Teddington combisave or the scale reducers?

4. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

I thinks he talking about the value that reduce cold water inlet or outlet until the boiler firing up has reached the desire hot water temp to save water. And no not used it so no idea if ti any good.

5. plane-it

plane-it Member

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

gizzmo, save your money, all combi's are set by manufactures to run at peak efficiency and tampering of the pipework will knock them out of focus,

7. PJ Wales

PJ Wales Member

I know this, you need to be on metered water not un-metered to see any savings.

8. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

If someone wants to pay you to fit one do it,if your thinking for yourself my advice would be problems come to you without buying them.;)

9. benedict

benedict New Member

I first came into contact with the combisave almost three years ago during my apprenticeship where the bulk of my work was converting gravity to combi heating systems. Whilst my understanding was limited it seemed like a simple idea that did what it said on the tin, basically a TMV 3 in reverse.

My current employer recently asked me to drive private sales for a firm mostly dealing with insurance contracts. I needed a product I believed in so took an in-depth look at the valve. Essentially it works the same as a tap being opened just enough for the pressure switch in the boiler to kick the hot water in and maintain the reduced rate until the water has reached the temperature set at the valve, and then offers full delivery thus saving water. Whilst it's true there is only financial gain for those on meters the ethical saving is huge. I believe the saving is up to 55,000 litres a year! As the boiler is dealing with a reduced flow rate it is able to heat the water much quicker, from experience halfing the time taken and better to supply water at the desired temperature to the tap. This is all time the boiler is not needed which is saving on gas as well. The valve also delivers hot water faster than pre heat functions which can then be switched off further saving on gas, again from memory I believe £25 per person in the house annually. I can fit the valve in about 15-30 minutes then a bit of time maybe 15 minutes to set the valve up so it is practical for the property, replicating differing pressure drops in the main (I run the bath tap and flush the toilet) then open the valve till the boiler kicks in.

I persuaded the boss to buy a box of 20 at I think below £25 a unit and I'm selling them on at £120-£150 depending on the circumstances. At around 30 to 45 mins fit time the mark up is fantastic offering a great way of upselling and boosting job profitability. The valve pays itself of up to 2 times in the first year and makes the customer real savings and helps reduce water waste and carbon footprinting. Win win! I have sold 35 of these in around 3 months so you can see the financial gain and I believe in selling these you are offering customers best advice.

As you can tell I like this valve and believe in what it offers. Every combi boiler should have one and installers can really help add some extra revenue to their business if they get the hang of selling them.

Gatt likes this.
  10. benedict

benedict New Member

Probably worth mentioning that the price mentioned was for a box of 20 and they retail more like £40 for an individual unit. Still plenty of money to be made!