Companies and Uniforms

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by dubsie, Sep 19, 2014.

1. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

I work for a very large and very profitable organisation and they have recently spend millions on a rebranding exercise. However, when it came to our uniforms it would appear the money has run out. The cheapest trousers, polo shirts and fleeces. They are so bad that most of use now buy our own trousers and in my case I buy Fristads which are brilliant and only cost about £50.00.

Why does management take such a dim view of those people who actually have to do all the hard work. It seems to be a growing trend that trademen are just an after thought.

Maybe it's time to look for a new career as working on the tools seems to be getting worse year by year.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Your company buy you clothing?

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

You takes your pick Chippie. You work for yourself, or you work for a firm & get supplied with clothing...Who knows what's the best option. :(

4. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

I just a lot of companies cut costs where they shouldn't and have limitless budgets on stuff they should be cutting.

A tradesman should have good tools and should have clothes that not only fit the companies image but should be suitable for the job we do. Wearing heaving canvas trousers with no kneepads as a heating engineer is madness but that's what they have provided. When I looked at how much they cost I was shocked to see the £10.00 price tag.

Yet they give me a shiny new van every 12 months and just spent over 3 million quid on new branding.

5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

You poor, poor thing dubsie,

If its so bad with BG (?) then leave and set up on your own. You'll certainly get to buy your own work wear then, and a van (which you will have to maintain, and tax), your own stationary / image, insurances. You'll also need to get your own GSR number and you'll have to start working more than 35 hours / week and only take 2 weeks off on hols a year instead of 5. And what about your pension, accountants fees, sick pay ..... I could go on !

And you are complaining about buying a set of trousers. Get a grip !

At least working on your own you'll get the satisfaction of providing an excellent service to your customers instead of ripping them off which is generally what BG do.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p ees funny because ees true. (best said in a Portuguese accent) :p:p:p:p

7. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

work clothing is under ppe. It needs to be fit for purpose, after that the quality over cost question is a decission for the boss. If your directly employed and have work clothing your company also has to provide a way of keeping it clean/ in good order. Why not drop your dirty work trousers around to your gaffa's wife for a express wash, its your right after all :)

you can also claim towards eye tests, prescription safety glasses and alot of other things. have a read of your H and S policy.

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

gladitsfriday, tell um the fun bits too, as a s/e person you are the
    company executive,manager,Secretary,auditor,estimator,purchaser,distributer,storeman,driver,labourer,invoicer,unpaid bill chaser,company van marshall all these jobs need doing and at BG theyall get paid a wage but in the world of the self unemployed there's only one man,one wage and one way to go,:oops:

itchyspanner likes this.
  9. itchyspanner workwear does not generally come under PPE regs with the exception of some items, as for the cleaning you used to be able to get tax benefit to cover your cost of cleaning etc.
    I wish I could afford to spend £50 on a pair of trousers just for work, £50 is a tank of fuel in the van but guess for those who have a fuel card for the company van they wouldn't understand that.

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you must only have a small van KSWC, £50 would only half fill my VW caddy, :(

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

£50 for a tank full of fuel, my VW LT needs that just to start. :p:p

12. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I can't imagine being able to fill any vans up for £50,unless KSWC is running on red.:eek::eek:

13. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

More like £400.00 per week. It costs about £110.00 to fill my van and I do that 4 times a week. But then I turn over about £4500.00 in work a week, I don't think that's bad at all and there must be some profit in that to justify a better uniform. I know margins are tight these days but a ****** uniform when all the managers seem to get lathered in iphones, cars and perks seems a bit much.

If you're self employed and can't afford £50.00 in fuel, then my advice is get a different job as your current one isn't paying. How on earth do you afford to buy or lease a van.

I was self employed for many years and it wasn't money that made me give it up.....it was getting time off work. Like most people who are self employed finding a balance between work and play is virtually impossible. You get children and then suddenly earning loads of money from working 7 days a week becomes less important. I still do a bit on the side when it suits me and I do it just to pay for my own gas safe reg and some pocket money. If your self employed and your not making £300.00 per day then I can't see how you would make it pay. Van, Fuel, Insurance, Tools, Registrations, Accountants, apprentice etc etc.

14. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

fill up four times a week :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused: that's umpossible, that means your doing more driving than working, its not feasable, :rolleyes:

15. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

He forgot to say his work van is a hummer.:D

16. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

He should get a new satnav. The one he's got is sending him the long way round!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

17. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Even If I'm working local its £110.00 per week. Last week I was working in Wales and I live in the east midlands....and i have to be on site for 8.00am......do the maths......a big van full of gear and you will be using most of a tank a day.

18. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'm doing the maths, your out of the house at dawn, back at midnight, then telling us that you like being employed cos you can spend more time at home??
    plus BG don't need to send you half way to timbucktoo, they have men all over,

figures can lie and liars can figure, go to bed sonny you've been sussed :)

plumberboy likes this.
  19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is dubsie Hudson?

plumberboy likes this.
  20. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

He can't work for BG they don't change their vans every 12 months. More like 4 or 5 years.