Complete novice! - Drilling masonry & correct raw plugs

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by MikhailCompo, Dec 22, 2008.

1. MikhailCompo

MikhailCompo New Member

I am putting up speaker brackets in my living room, the walls have quite old plaster, which also seems quite thick, on top of stone walls.

I have nipped to B&Q (sorry!) to get some raw plugs to go with the 50mm x 5mm screws which i have lying around which to me seem suitable. However, the longest raw plugs they have are 40mm - why? Are they suitable for use with 50mm screws?

The brackets are good quality, but when attached the speakers sit a good couple of inches from the wall which with the weight of the speaker will pull the top screws somewhat - hence wanting to use fairly long screw (and the walls are so thick so why not?).

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks

2. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

You really need longer screws if the plaster is thick.Get a 75mm screw,drill your hole a touch longer and put the plug in.Then put screw to the plug and tap it in with a hammer so the plug is well into the hole then tighten the screw.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's just about right by yorkshireboy.

Rule of thumb I use is drill the hole just a tad deeper than the screw MINUS the bracket thickness(so in most cases for a 3" screw, 3" hole is perfect. Put the plug in as yorkshire says, and tap it in further with the screw just started. Tap it it leaving the length of the rawlplug not tapped in(so 40mm rawlplug-leave 40mm of screw out, to be screwed in.

Brown plugs.

Don't be fooled into thinking that the rawlplug should be in just level with the surface(you don't want it gripping on JUST the render/plaster - fatal)

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. MikhailCompo

MikhailCompo New Member

AHAAAA! That makes so much more sense - thanks for your advice, really useful.

I had always assumed that the plug should sit flush with the wall, but now you say it its obvious that it should sit in the stone/brick, not the plaster.

Have followed you advice and i the bracket can hold my own weight!

Kind regards

Tarzan

5. lightning bolt

lightning bolt New Member

try splinter type wood nock in snap of job done:)