Composite door lock no operating as it should

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by antonio1976, Sep 9, 2015.

1. antonio1976

antonio1976 New Member

Morning Forum,

any ideas how i can get the door lock out of my composite front door it's not working correctly and causing me a problem. The spring latch only works when you twist the inner door handle. When you try and close the door form the outside the door handle does not operate the spring latch and you really have to slam it to shut I'm afraid i will smash the door or frame soon.

Any help would be great.

IMG_13962.jpg

2. The first thing I would do is, with the door open , operate the door handles to lock and unlock the door mechanism to establish wether the lock is functioning ok independent of the door frame.
    If the lock works ok without the door being shut , then it may be that the hinges on the door have come loose and caused the door to drop and interfering with the normal locking.
    Out of interest, did this problem arise suddenly or has it got worse over a long period ?
    In the worst case scenario, the central gearbox on the lock ( the bit with the latch in ) would need replacing which isn't a terribly difficult task.

3. antonio1976

antonio1976 New Member

Hi London Mike,

the problem has gotten worse over a period time. The key lock definetley does not operate as it did when new, however i think you are probably right regarding the door dropping slightly. i can't for the life of me work out what to do to adjust it as there is not real adjustment that i can see.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually there a small allen set screw somewhere on the hinges to allow for adjustment.

Graphite powder is a great lubricant & a few puffs can soon sort out tempermental sticky locks.

5. There are quite a few types of hinges that are fitted to these type of doors, the best advice I can offer without seeing the door and hinges , is to Google upvc door hinge adjustment and go from there.
    I had to make a adjustment on my door which is the same type as yours , and all I had to do was tighten a small grub screw that was in the middle of the top and middle hinge. But as I said , the hinges vary greatly so best to do some research and go from there or call a window / door company and ask them to sort it out.

Good luck
    Mike

6. antonio1976

antonio1976 New Member

picture of hinge hope this helps

Attached Files:

7. On the first picture you can see a small grub screw in the middle of the hinge, this is the screw that you need to make certain that it is done up tight.
    Start at the top of the door and work your way down, trying the door as you go until it closes ok.
    Of course this is trial and error, but in general the top of the door is where it is likely to drop from. There are videos on the web that will show you how to adjust the hinges if you get stuck.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

No. The two large bolts with hex are the ones to adjust.

Look at your last picture, see the pins position in the hole.

If that's the bottom hinge, the pin needs to come towards the door.
    The top hinge pin needs to go towards the frame.
    Then the middle hinge need to come towards the door half as much.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really