Composite shower tray curved won't lie flat - will it settle ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by charentejohn, Aug 30, 2014.

1. charentejohn

charentejohn New Member

Just put this on the ply base and there is a 4mm plus curve in it. 90x140cm tray, it is 4cm high and about 1cm thick with 6 'feet' cast in underneath.
    If I stand on it it presses flat but then springs back, I mentioned this when I bought it as I noticed the curve but they said it would be ok.

Question is - true or false ?
    I currently have a piece of wood with a concrete block on it in the centre which has pushed it almost flat.
    It has obviously been ground flat underneath at the factory so was flat once ?

If I leave it will it return to being flat and if so how long should it take.

Lots of instructions for all the shower trays the company makes came with it but no mention of how to fit this one, I assume no cement required ? I planned to just dot silicone on the base and feet then leave it on the ply base to set, if I did thet now it would just spring back.

Any help appreciated

2. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Sounds like you have a bent tray, if it's twisted it will stay twisted, take it back if you want a slimline tray that's flat I'd get a stone one

3. charentejohn

charentejohn New Member

That's a shame as I will have to order one which will take weeks.
    I will leave the weights on over the weeken and if no change on Monday back it goes :(

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Good advice from GWPH, don't bother with the weights, even if it recovers a bit it will warp again and cause you major hassle. Most decent Merchants will get you a 900 x 1400 next day even if they don't have it in stock.

Let us know if your supplier takes it back ok, sounds like they may try not to.

All trays should come with instructions so buy a recognised brand with technical support available not some cheap rubbish from north korea. You only want to put it in once so buy something decent.

Generally trays go down onto a weak sand and cement base, if that is what your MI's say do it. 5:1 ratio with some feb to stop it crumbling. Use wbp grade ply underneath, one sheet, no joins, 18mm. Do it right. Lovely!

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I've had this many times. The last time I contacted the Supplier (Daryl) and they said it should settle over night with a weight on. They also mentioned that nobody had ever complained before but low and behold, the next tray I bought from them had two great big steel angle bars strapped to it!

6. charentejohn

charentejohn New Member

Yes, I have given up on the weights as just springs back. I am in France so places to buy are limited and delivery slow, I will just have to put up with that.
    I put a straight edge across the base and tge feet are miles out, basically bending in 2 directions, sort of 'pot bellied'.
    Side to side the moulded feet are about 1cm high and lengthways about the same.
    Make is Carea, model Lagoon (Lagon here) which is a good make, I think.
    I will return it on Monday and tell them to check the replacement with a straight edge before shipping or I won't accept it.

7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

One other thing use marine ply

8. charentejohn

charentejohn New Member

Thanks, the ply I used is amazing and very waterproof, got it from a neighbour.

Bathstyle, seems we posted at about the same time so I have just seen your comments. I have the tray loaded in the car to return tomorrow morning.
    Checked it and compared with a previous one I noted the 'planing' of the underside had missed a few bits near the waste making me think this was a problem one anyway.
    I will make the point that I will accept no more than 1mm deflection lengthwise, or they will just have to keep replacing them.

This will settle over about 6 months I think ? Maybe but I can't wait that long. Shame as it is a good looking tray http://uk.carea-sanitaire.fr/produits/receveur-lagon/
    Hopefully the replacement will be ok.

I always like the 'nobody has complained' reply, I bought a stainless exhaust for my car onece and it didn't fit. I called a few times then wrote, they said they had never had a complaint, I said they had had loads by phone from me. There are always problems with occasional pieces so no big deal but spare me the all our products are perfect reply. Just say, we missed that one here is another.

9. charentejohn

charentejohn New Member

Just a final one, took it back and all is well. They took one look at it and much 'ooh wierd' type comments.
    Checked a one on the shelf and all perfectly level, new one on order for about a weeks time.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

For future reference, you might try turning it over, checking its flatness that way, packing under where it touches the floor first(say both opposite diagonals) and applying weight to the other free sides and middle, enough to slightly overbend. Heat(say hot water) would speed up the process. If heat is used, cool as soon as straight, to set.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really