Compression fittings on copper pipe for gas supply

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by should have got a joiner, Aug 26, 2010.

1. I know compression fittings should not be fitted to copper gas pipe unless accessible.But the fittings on here (screwfix) just mention wet services should I be looking for a compression fittings that states there are for gas services or will the ordinary ones be ok?
    I was going to use copper pipe with the yellow plastic sleeving, but somebody told me not to waste my money use the normal. Is he right?

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Don't even touch the gas!

Gas work is ONLY for competent persons - that is the legal definition - if you have to ask such questions then you clearly are incompetent and must not do gas work.

3. midlands heating

midlands heating New Member

Horses For Courses LOL
    quite right CC

4. kinknackered

kinknackered New Member

Whether your competant or not we dont know, but to answer your question the fitting are the same.

5. EXPERTGASMAN

EXPERTGASMAN New Member

Didn't you read the question?

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

We know he's not competent! Otherwise he would not be asking such silly questions!

7. Silly questions?
    I was always told if in doubt ask.
    My house has compression fittings on the existing gas pipes already, and knew it was ok,(installed by a competent plumber?) but like to check things out. Silly?
    I have sized the gas pipe using tables will use soldered joints and compression only if they are accessible, will pressure test and leak test all joints, not competent, what extra would you do?

8. G Brown

G Brown New Member

With gas - if in doubt - DON'T !

There is more to running gas pipes than the jointing too, routes, flux, joints testing all have to conform to regs. If you don't know the regs how are you going to do it right?

Leave it be!

9. I have read the regs, I am not building a nuclear reactor.

10. G Brown

G Brown New Member

No, but ypu are asking some very dumb questions which makes people question your competency

11. Ok see your point of view.
    But I do like to check on things even though I know what the answer is going to be. Has you have all said it is gas, so if it means asking a "stupid" question to be 100% safe, then I see no harm. But suppose it is annoying to you all. I will be getting a gas safe fitter sometime as I am fitting a new boiler. But want to get the pipework for the gas supply through the house and the boiler mounted first.

12. Fada Mach

Fada Mach New Member

Hmm, why are you using any compression fittings at all when you've told us you will be soldering - er, I mean having someone else solder - the 'out of sight' joints?

Solder all the way would make more sense, unless you want a 'dismantleable' joint there too?

13. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Well talk to your gassafe fitter BEFORE you do anything and also see if he is willing to sign off your work - some will, some won't.

14. wetnec

wetnec New Member

CC, some wil,some wont?,some Girls need a lot of loving,some Girls dont. :^O :^O

15. kinknackered

kinknackered New Member

Cap'n Im sure youve been on loads of jobs where the works pony, carried out by certified competent persons, certification shows you have the ability to do something it dosent mean you will do it right after the exam, so better a bloke asking and being set right than getting ******** from experts