Computer woes

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by unphased, Jun 30, 2014.

1. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I don't know whether anyone could possibly help me, or refer me to a place where I can get help?

I am having BSOD everytime I shutdown my PC, every time. The BSOD is consistent

SPECIAL_POOL_DETECTED_MEMORY_CORRUPTION

There are crash dumps available but that is outside my scope of expertise. I don't know how to access them or debug them.

I have been removing old programs from windows uninstall but so far nothing I have done has cured the problem. I have rum the memory check tools and no errors are showing.

The only changes I have made very recently are installing a new printer HP Officejet 8600 and the Asus wireless adapter. I have tried updating firmware and drivers for these devices but info tells me I have the latest everything.

:(

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You could try booting in safe mode and then shut down and see if it happens. If it does then you know it's prolly gonna be a driver issue. I guess you could start disabling them one by one till its goes though personally I would just reach for the recovery disk and format c:/

3. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I have downloaded the Windows Development Tool pack and I haven't a clue what to do with it. :( Its apparently recording something at the moment. 490Mb buffer (5%) and a timer ticking away.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

have you tried running a system restore back to a date that the symptom were not there.

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

No I don't want to do that, Phil. Need to be sure I exhaust all other options first.

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

remove everything that isn't needed for the machine to boot, so unplug the new devices, take out all additional RAM, leaving just the minimum - check the event logs, there's usually clues left after a messy shut down

try reseating the RAM, or testing by substitution

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

and while it's cleanly booted, make sure your important data is fully backed up

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Why, it doesn't remove anything that in stored on your files, but it may remove any nasties that may be present.

9. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I am too chicken to do it. :) Never had this before. Very odd.

This is out of the event log details:

The BCM42RLY service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  10. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

There should be a cd that came with pc that will zap everything and put it back to it's factory defaults with the right driver etc. The WDK won't do that for you afaik.

11. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

BCM42RLY is a Broadcom chipset device message, I bet your ASUS thing has updated it's driver - can you either totally remove all traces of the ASUS installation (and check to see if it cleanly shuts down), or at the very least roll it back to the previous driver version ?

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

There are two wireless devices on my PC, Sean. The HP printer and the Asus adapter. I agree with you that the driver of one of these devices is the issue, and I am more inclined for it to be the HP. I was having no issues before I changed the printer. :)

I am in Safe Mode now, Ben, and it doesn't blue screen when I shut down.

13. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

You could remove the HP printer drivers/software. Reboot and then download and install the latest drivers/software from the HP site.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Turn off the Driver Verifier:
    Start > type verifier in the Search programs and files box and press "Enter" > Delete existing settings > Finish

I don't know if you do this, but if you don't I would strongly advise that you initiate backup. I dump my backups onto flash. You probably do that Un but at least if everything does go **** up in the future you will always be able to reinstall valuable data from the flash - just leave it plugged in all the time and use other flashes for porting data etc. Sometimes I dump everything onto a master and working disc,and also onto Drive D which is a separate HD.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I had a HP multifunction that worked fine for years, then all of a sudden I had BSOD etc, and computer reported a problem with the printer, uninstalled, reinstalled etc etc, contacted HP who eventually, after they suggested doing stuff that I'd already tried, said basically my computer was the culprit and not the HP software etc, In short I purchased a Brother multifunction and no problems since.
    HP technical were a waste of space tbh.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

This is the first screen......

Screenshot - 30_06_2014 , 18_03_27.jpg

17. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

First thing I always suggest, make sure everything is clean internally. Getting too hot can cause so many problems
    and anytime I start having grief this usually fixes most of my issues.. You'd be surprised !

I usually remove the CPU heatsink (leaving the CPU where it is) and my Graphics cards, hoover inside the case
    and blow out the dust from the PSU, Blow out the dust from the graphics cards, new heatsink compound on the
    CPU and refit the heatsink.

Everything I have on my PC that's important is in my DropBox account anyway so if It still runs like a sack of spuds
    after this, I reinstall, re hook up the DropBox and MSOffice and im pretty much there again.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

What's a Dropbox Quiche? Is it some sort of cloud like affair - you know you upload all your data to a remote server and the data on the cloud can be obtained on many different devices - for instance a smartphone being used in Outer Mongolia with mobile internet engaged?

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Disconnect the USB connection to the printer.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. Quiche81

Quiche81 Member

It is similar to cloud yes, on my PC its simply another folder on my desktop. I use it for keeping all my invoices, certs etc. I have a very strong password on it but to be honest, if someone did 'hack' drop box and access my account, its really nothing very exciting from a hackers point of view, unless he's into copies of certificates, quotes etc.

I started using it after a Hard disk failure last year which cost me a fair bit on info, my own fault for not doing regular backups, the thing is, and if people are honest, you forever think 'I'll do it tomorrow'. Then a hard disk fails and you wish that 'tomorrow' was yesterday !