Concrete canopy removal

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Corkyjohn, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

i need to take this down & wondered if my easiest option would be to support it then use an angle grinder to chop it off in pieces? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

How far back are you planning to take it?
    Is it acting as a lintel for the bricks above

3. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

I need to take it flush with the brickwork as I'm installing a different canopy. If it is acting as a lintel surely if I'm leaving it intact apart from the protruding slab it should be ok?

4. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Bit out of my knowledge, but it would lose strength by cutting it back. I'm sure one of the builders will be able to confirm if it's likely to be an issue or not

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

How far does the concrete canopy extend inward? looks like 3/4 brick length.

If the concrete doesn't extend into the inner leaf of the house, then you will considerably weaken it by cutting it flush, it will be reinforced with steel rebar.

The other option is to remove it completely and install a lintel, maybe a sing leaf catnic.

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I would completely remove it and fit a concrete lintel in its place, I'm assuming your putting a porch up spot will be hidden.

7. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

No porch just a canopy, the concrete slab appears to go into the brickwork but will have a better look tomorrow.

Attached Files:

8. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

9. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

From what I can see it goes in at least 2 bricks so surely lopping the overhang off cant cause any problems? Thanks

10. Wishful thinking... :)

And the chances are you would get away with it.

But the folks on here won't say "yeah - do it!" unless they know for sure it'll be ok.

Sadly it doesn't look as tho' anyone on here has come across that kind of setup before.

Any chance of a photo of the top of the canopy, where it fits into the brickwork?

Anyways, until you know for certain, it'll chust have to be your call. Very likely you will be able to cut it nigh-on flush and your house won't fall down.

But we'll all come round to do a 'Nelson'* if it does... :oops:

* The Simpsons

11. Corkyjohn

Corkyjohn Member

:p Fingers crossed... Will get another photo later, just finished nightshift. Thanks for advice so far

12. Biffo

Biffo Member

run a cut level with house , then bolster it off bit by bit

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

All this chop it off bit by bit or even cut straight through it isn't going to work if you are putting that canopy up you posted, it will at best look shiit and at worst end up with concrete cancer where you have cut through the reinforcing steel and moisture creeps in causing rust which in turn explodes the concrete from the inside out.

Fitting a new concrete lintel will still not look that good due to being on show,but at least it will be weather proof.

14. Biffo

Biffo Member

i concur didnt realise it was going to be on show

15. Ooooh - good point, Phil.

I guess it could be painted a neutral colour to disguise the cut edge (matt black...), but - yes - the exposed rebar ends would need sealing effectively.

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Remove similar concrete canopy over my back door a few years ago, ended up competely removing it & replacing with a single leaf cantic lintel, as the rebar was about 150mm in from the edge of the slab, so no use as a lintel to support above brickwork..