Concrete fence posts aren't concreted into the ground

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Shiftworker, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Shiftworker

Shiftworker New Member

My neighbour recently began erecting a 6 foot fence made from concrete posts, concrete gravel boards and timber panels. I have noticed that he has just set the posts into the ground and compacted the soil back around them He hasn't used concrete.

Although he has sunk the posts quite deep into the ground he thinks that this will suffice. The ground though gets boggy and I fear that the weight of the posts will cause them to sink in time resulting in unevenness. That's if the whole lot doesn't blow over before this.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this as a method of fence erecting? I fear he is creating problems but he wont listen.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It will fall over.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Certainly will, could have a nasty accident as a result.

4. Mr Handyman

Mr Handyman New Member

Concrete posts are more likely to fall over than timber posts. Fences get massive side pressures on them from the wind. You have an idiot for a neighbour.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why? To the first statement.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I guess it would be because there is more weight above ground!

And less 'give'.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Compacting just the soil back around the posts isn't good, if he was compacting fine hardcore it would be ok, you don't concrete in solid oak posts just compacted hardcore to allow drainage, maybe if all wooden posts were done that way you wouldn't get so many snapping off at ground level due to rotting.

Drifted a bit there from the subject sorry, if he is putting them in at the required 600mm depth then apart from some possible lateral movement I doubt it will fall over, but because the panels are slotted in, the smallest movement will cause problems with panels falling out.

Ray Retired likes this.
  8. Gatt

Gatt Active Member

Accident waiting to happen , at least you told him , your concerns.

9. Mr Handyman

Mr Handyman New Member

We are told that the ground gets boggy. Simple Maths as far as I'm concerned. It is all to do with the height of the centre of gravity and the turning moment when a force is applied. If the post is set in concrete, the concrete becomes part of the post and the weight of the concrete lowers the centre of gravity of the concrete post. The lower the centre of gravity, the more stable the post.

Jitender likes this.
  10. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Is he 70+ years of age??

11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

We'll all be 70+ at some time, hopefully, and the point of your question is?....

12. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

The oldens know best.......or so they tell us.

My step father did the same a few years ago.....just would not listen when I said the posts NEED to go deeper and with more concrete. Did he listen.....did he hell.
    8 fence panels and post all came down within a couple of weeks. It cost him to replace broken panels......oh how we chuckled.