Concrete Path

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by JPounder, Feb 4, 2016.

1. JPounder

JPounder New Member

Hi All,

Just a quick one from me.

I'm looking to install a driveway in the front of my house. The council will drop the kerb for me but I am going to install the drive myself.

Currently I have a concrete path. From the gate all the way down the side of my house to the back door.

Before I start smashing this up with a sledge what considerations would you recommend for any services?

Secondly, the manhole covers are precast into the concrete and are smaller in area to the inspection chambers below. What could I do about taking these up and relaying them?

Thanks in advance.

James

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The advice depends on what surface you are going to lay - tarmac, concrete, pavers ?

3. JPounder

JPounder New Member

I think I would put paving stones down on top the sub base.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Paving stones aren't the best for driveways as they tend to crack under load and tend to move if there is a slope.

You may find brick sets work out much the same £16 m2 as opposed to £20 for brick pavers. The pavers will give you a much better surface in terms of wear and looks and probably the same effort to lay overall as slabs. Plus you get some nice man hole solutions for pavers

5. JPounder

JPounder New Member

Thanks for the reply sospan,

Am I right in thinking brick pavers are the same as block paving?

I saw some recently at a local builders yard Thomas Armstrong 50mm. I can get them for about £10sqm. Heard of them before?

Many thanks

James

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Any reason why you must take the path up?

And what will you do about drainage?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Never heard of them so looked them up, seem they are a North East based company, so maybe they don't sell down South, their web page is very similar to Marshall paving, don't know if they are a subsidiary of them?

£10M2 seems a good price certainly cheaper than a paving slab thats strong enough for driveway use.

As for services all but cable tv should be well below the depth you need to dig out.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I miss read your post thinking it was paving slabs

The brick and block are the same size, although can be made of different materials. Some block pavers can be more decorative and used for light traffic areas. So you have to be selective in what you want.

have a look at this site for ideas and techniques http://www.pavingexpert.com/

9. JPounder

JPounder New Member

No real reason other than for looks. The current path is a little cracked and slightly sunken in places.

I haven't given any thought to drainage. I just expected the rain would run through given the blocks would be permeable.

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

There are building regulations for new drives but since this is an existing one you should be ok. However, you may want to consider a linear drain and a soakaway, there will be some water permeating through the sand between the blocks but most will run with the slope of the drive.

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are you sure the council will do the dropped kerbs?, my council has a list of contractors' who have the require public liability insurance as well as street works accreditation.

They may have a list, but they do not recommend any of them.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

unless the road you're is quite and you have good neighbours' ;)

Also consider planting some nice shrubs :)

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

We have Direct Labout Organisation (DLO) down here, where the council competes for work and their own Tenders.

It may be so where the OP is but quite often they won't quote as the work is quite small. So I guess the same will happen with the OP

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I need my kerb dropped in a back lane on my building site. Even though were building a house, had all gear, virtually traffic and pedestrian free lane. We had to get a firm in because we weren't "approved". We couldn't secretly do it ourselves as the Building inspector was around all the time.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Was quoted about in the region of £800 - 1100 to have some kerbs lowered.

I think this is about 6 straights and 2 droppers. When they people from the council came out, they took the picture of the wrong house. Normally they will only allow the droppers to be within the boundary line. They will also look for any services that are in the way.

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Nerve touched :mad:

A few years before we purchased the plot the council resurfaced the back lane, fitting new curbs and lowering the surface at the same time. However, there was an old drain which went from my plot across the lane into the mains drain - but they cut through it and capped it because it wasn't being used but didn't inform anyone or keep any records.

So when we came to build the house and connect the toilet it worked for about 3-4 days before it started backing up. Got the excavators back in and found the problem. Of course now, the lane is lower, so even uncapping the pipe and reinstating it wouldn't help as the new pipe would be on the road surface.

Had to run a new pipe to another sewer line and cost me a fortune and would the council accept any responsibility .......

17. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Have you got planning permission for your drop crossing?

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This happened in an area near me, a large mainly social housing area, that was tarmaced over, all the stop tap covers had been covered over. Utilities a few years ago redid the whole water mains and new supply connections to all the flats/houses.

19. Cesar Temple

Cesar Temple New Member

Hire a professional contractor.