Concrete pillars around door and window

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by damian doherty, Aug 18, 2017.

1. damian doherty

damian doherty New Member

Has anyone ever come across concrete lintels at each side of the door then over top concrete slabs but theses concrete pillars seem to go right up the wall probly to the roof . The job im doing is blocking up a door way and creating a new window but there is 2 concrete pillars that i need to remove i think rhe house is 1950s . Thanks damian

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got any photo's.
    Seen that on some of the Prefabricated reinforced concrete (PRC) houses,think Orlit or Watts was one of them, concrete prestressed frame, then infill will block work.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  3. damian doherty

No pics am afraid I went into panicky mode and put door and window back in lol . But it sounds like it's pre fab. But I'll try 're explain

There's 3 concrete pillars left side door right side door window then another one roughly 1m apart from each other I need the middle one out and probly the one on the left .
    There each 150mm wide and run from the floor up the inside of the cavity as far as I could reach thru my acrows hole im assuming it goes to the roof . How do i prop it to remove a section . So i can block the door and window up and create one 1m opening in the middle for a new window
    Cheers

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very difficult without actually seeing it, as I don't know what they are supporting,you might be able to remove one pillar then block up doorway, which would take the load, then remove other pillar, & block up as required.BUT you need to be sure before you do any work..
    These pillars could be supporting a first floor concrete ring beam, which takes loading of the first floor, roof, & all load is transfered down through these pillars.

You need someone with more experience to look at this, you just can't go removing pillars here & there.

Have read of this link: https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&ved=0ahUKEwj_-NeetOHVAhUFI8AKHUXkAXUQFgg8MAU&url=http://carbonlite.aecb.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/pdf-of-non-trad-examples.pdf&usg=AFQjCNEgvzTJWbGgM_Li9YO9JH2jt3YyJg

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  5. damian doherty

Yep that's what I thought no other option than structural engineer really . Cheers

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do update with the outcome, interested to know.:)