Concrete Under Window Instead Of Bricks

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Comaid, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Comaid

Comaid New Member

Hi
    I've built an extension at the back of my 1970s bungalow. It's now roofed and sealed so I'm removing the kitchen window to create an entrance. The window is out and I've removed most of the bricks below the window that were originally the outside bricks. I can now see the inner wall and instead of bricks going up to the same level as the outside wall (up to the bottom of the window) the bricks stop a couple of courses short and to get to the same level there is what looks like cast in situ concrete about 20cms square extending the length of the window. It sits on top of the bricks and bridges the cavity being separated from the outer leaf by a sheet of bitumen type dpc. It's not built into the brickwork at either end so doesn't seem to be supporting anything.
    Before I start to remove it I wondering of there's a reason for it rather than the couple of courses of bricks I expected.
    Anybody know why it might have been done like this?
    Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Pics will help to fully understand the lay out as it doesn't sound normal.

3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Don't know...but as long as you have a lintel etc above your new entrance then I wouldn't worry.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

As already said, as long there is a lintel above you be ok removing it.
    Basically a way,I suppose to close the cavity for window cill, got it here, remove the old concrete cills here, & underneath it was another 2"-3" slab of concrete, not tied in to outer wall at all.

Even seen a row of brickette laid flat, soldier fashion to achieve same purpose, a sub cill I sppose.

5. Comaid

Comaid New Member

Kitchen2.JPG Kitchen4.JPG

First photo shows bitumen type dpc covering the concrete. You can just see the bricks below it.
    Second one shows the concrete after removing the dpc.
    Hammer and torch etc are sitting on the inside window cill.
    Seems a bit over the top to seal the cavity. Haven't found anything like this in the rest of the house.
    Thanks for the replies.

Comaid

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Rather substaintial lump of concrete.:eek:

Can't be structural as it's not built in.:confused:

7. Phil the Paver

Maybe it served a purpose in the past that is no longer required but its still there, as already stated you are safe in removing it without causing any structural damage.

Just don't drop it on your foot, it will be very heavy.

8. Comaid

Comaid New Member

Started to remove it by drilling a few holes vertically then cracking it with a hammer and chisel in manageable blocks. No reinforcement, just sitting on the bricks and not fixed at the end. Almost done then the wall's going.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Kitchen5.JPG

9. Phil the Paver

Good job. :)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nice to have a update, thanks.:)

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Think I'd have had that sink out before starting on that wall!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

12. Comaid

Comaid New Member

The wife wouldn't let me!

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

That's what they are best at. Making life difficult!
    :rolleyes:

Mr. HandyAndy - Really