Concrete

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Crosbie, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Would you say so?, I wouldn't, I would if really needed always say use a recognise additive for slowing down setting times:)

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I doubt anyone in their right mind would use it for anything they wanted to be reliably strong - but it's a handy trick to know, the folks at LUL might have had a few late nights making off lots of new signalling cable if someone hadn't known that a trip to Tesco would work

3. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

If my bricky turned up with fairy liquid he'd be going home to watch Jeremy Kyle.

It reduces strength and contains salts that can cause temporary efflorescence. And the days of using it are long gone.

Fairy liquid belongs in the kitchen.

4. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

I've been saying no all through this thread.

5. Phil the Paver

As have I, but I must admit that it's a new one on me and the post I posted above, doesn't say don't use it just recommended using a purpose made product, it even goes on to say it's compressive strength will increase by about 8%. ???

6. Phil the Paver

Lol, must admit I have done it, but only use cheap liquid, good ones contain more salt like fairy liquid.:p

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

8. BuilderMCR

BuilderMCR Active Member

9. Crosbie

Crosbie New Member

Gosh! didn't anticipate such a debate.
    My information was casual, from a guy called Bob in the Ballachroy Bar (not far from Tobermory). He said 0.01% sugar but no more than 0.02% sugar. I wrote this down but didn't note how long the normal setting process took - hence my question. Bob was a visitor, not a local, so the question could not be repeated - it was a wee while ago anyway!
    0.01% means a kilo bag of sugar per metric ton of concrete.
    Or about a tablespoon and a half per 60 litre mix (I plan to use a belle mixer with a 90 litre drum.)
    I plan to mix 700 litres. So I reckon on 14 or 15 mixes . Thought some means of retarding the setting would make life a bit easier. Bob, who was the wrong side of half bottle of the Tobermory malt at the time, didn't mention that there is a commercially available setting retardent.
    What is the retardent called?

I don't have an option of readymix delivery!!!!!

correction; my original note said 0.01% to 0.15% sugar. It should have read 0.01% to 0.015%. However I don't think this typo detracted from the fun of the debate.

10. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

what's the concrete being used for ?

11. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Isn't it a food additive - Sodium Citrate?

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Builder MCR said;
    We've had that one

apologies builder, didn't see that Phil had posted this link early on in the post
    I don't want to be branded as a "parrot" :p

BuilderMCR and Phil the Paver like this.
  13. Phil the Paver

14. Crosbie

Crosbie New Member

The concrete is for an ourdoor slab

I'll buy the retarder from Wickes - and keep my sugar for my coffee.

However

I'm not convinced that one baking hot day in the middle of summer at least one of you guys will surreptitiously slip a mug of hot sweet tea into your water bucket while mixing a load of concrete.

Thanks for your help

15. Crosbie

Crosbie New Member

I wonder if the Wickes 'Waterproofer and Retarder' is just the same as the Wickes 'Waterproofer' with a spoonful of sugar added??

16. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

;) yep it's in all manner of ''foods'' - doesn't sound overly appetising

17. Phil the Paver

Maybe we should ask Mary Poppins. :)

18. Wills Carlet

Wills Carlet New Member

The contractor or workers used concrete for making buildings and for large projects also which includes apartments, colleges and many more. Concrete becomes beneficial in use due to its durability and its strength that makes perfect solution for workers.