Condensate pipe from boiler goes straight into soil stack

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by diymostthings, May 19, 2015.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

Hi - My neighbour has reported that her "boiler is leaking slightly underneath from a white pipe". This is probably a fitting on the condensate trap. I couldn't gain access this evening, but I think the trap is probably backing up and/or the fitting is leaking so will clear tomorrow, but I was struck by the fact that the end of the condensate tube has been routed directly into the soil stack outside. Leaving aside the fact that is was simply siliconed into a hole bored into the pipe without a proper strap boss, is this way of dealing with the boiler condensate allowed in the regs? It seems that you have to rely on the trap in the boiler to stop sewer smells entering the house.

Thanks for any comments/opinions/advice.

diymostthings

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

it all boils down to workmanship diymoststuff, if its ouside it should be 32mm pipe falling all the way to the soilpipe and lagged, but we often see 3/4 overflow pipe without lagging, the boiler condensate trap is enough but many plumbers will use a dry trap as well to be sure of preventing smells,

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I once watched a plumber (employed by the council) when fitting a boiler to use a mapp torch to burn a hole in a rainwater pipe for the condensate, the 22mm overflow pipe was simply pushed in.

metrokitchens likes this.
  4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Skills Jit, he can fit three boilers a day though!

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Agree, I tried it myself from some scrap drainpipe it all burned.:oops:

6. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the secret is, heat 22mm copper tube then make the hole with that, ;)

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Oooh Tom, bad practice, :eek:
    Turns the plastic around the hole brittle.
    Yes I have done it:confused:

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

before battery drils were invented, thats how it was done, there are 10's of thousands done that way and to my knowledge there has never been a epedemic of failing tanks, but on the other hand, I have split tanks while drilling with a speed bit, my conclusion to that is, some tanks are more brittle than others, o_O

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

So have I.:eek:

Dave does Gas likes this.