condensation on cistern

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dexterwolf, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

Over the past few weeks there is condensation on the cistern. So every so often this drips onto the lino floor. Has anyone got any ideas?.also the bendy cold pipes ( sorry don't know much plumber quotes) leading to fill cistern seem wet which I presume are again the condensation.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you need to warm the room up,

3. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

I had the rad on in morning and at night but during the day I am at work so its not on.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Mines the same, no rad in my toilet. :(:(

5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

What Phil!! You have a bendy wet pipe.:eek:

6. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

I suppose there ain't much I can do then apart from wipe therm down everyday

7. You could look at why there is so much moisture in the air couldn't you. Ventilation? Do you dry washing on your radiators? Etc. It's basic physics, warm air can hold a lot more moisture that cold air so when the warm moist air hits a cold surface the moisture condenses out. The end. If you aren't able to ventilate then you could look at a dehumidifier.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

A common enough problem during the cold weather. Even if you warm the room up, every time you flush the cistern there's freezing cold water filling it up, so that's going to cause some condensation until it warms up a bit. There are some double walled cisterns out there that tend to negate this age old problem. Ventilating the bathroom will help, but during cold weather, who wants windows left open?

Jitender likes this.
  9. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

Nothing drying in there on the rad and it is on full blast. Joinerjohn I think its the warm room with the cold water firing into the cistern.

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Perhaps it's time to warm the room LESS!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Ventilation is more effective than heating the air. When you heat the air, it holds more moisture - all that lovely sweat and hot breath from you peeps (as well as cooking, washing, showering, etc.)

That warm moist air then hits a very cold spot - the cistern. Condensation.

That's not to say you should make that room cold - that won't help at all, 'cos the warm moist air from the rest of the house will still go in there and condense even more...

During the day, I'd recommend leaving the bathroom window on the 'vent' setting and also leave the loo door open. That will help. Once you're home, I guess you'll want to close all the windows, so just warm the whole house evenly, and try to avoid creating excess moisture. When cooking, use the extractor hood. When bathing/showering, absolutely use the extractor and keep it running for a good 5 minutes after you've finished.

Don't dry clothes on horses or rads - at least not a full load at a time.

But, you will always get some condensation forming on these cold surfaces... :(