Conifer tree disposal after felling?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by SteveMJ, May 16, 2017.

1. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

Half asleep earlier - literally. Something none of us has mentioned - nesting birds. You need to establish that the tree is clear of active nests before any work is done to it. Otherwise you've got to wait.

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

My council offer a 'Home' wood chipping service. For about £25 for an hour they come and chip all the branches upto 6" dia.

The bags are left for yo to keep and can be used for mulch.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

I've been watching for birds nesting and can't see any. They didn't like the nesting box I bought and put up autumn before last in another conifer where I cleared some lower branches.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

That's good news. We have a blackbird that's built a nest in a storage area that's covered over but open at each end. Magpies are queuing up at the moment...... Not much we can do unfortunately and almost impossible for the blackbird to defend.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Hire a decent sized shredder for the day / weekend and feed it through that. Your gonna need loads of sacks though to bag it up

Another option is ask around if anyone has any ton bulk bags they don't need from sand / ballast, etc. These bags are great for the light, feathery stuff and saves chopping into small bits. Depends as well if your happy carting all this in ur car

It's gonna take a fair few trips though either way and local tips have varying rules and regs so best check with council or online

6. b4xtr

b4xtr Active Member

all sounds like a lot of aggro to me.
    we all want to save a bit here and there and get stuff done cheaply but, i reckon, spend the money with someone who does this for a living and will fell the tree and clear it.
    job done, you get on with your life

Dr Bodgit likes this.
  7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Always a balance between cost, your own effort and hassle. I get people in the for big and difficult jobs that either I can't do or would take too much time. I only have the one life.

8. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

This is a photo of the tree. Hopefully you can see its size and also that fact it is away from buildings etc. conifer.jpg

9. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I'd definitely get the Pros in for that. This is the conifer I had taken out, roughly the same size as yours I'd say (shorter but wider) and it was quite a job with a LOT of waste wood.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SteveMJ

SteveMJ Active Member

Yes, comparable. The cutting down seems straight forward it IS the material disposal that is a problem.

thanks for that :)