Connecting a Superfire 2 to gas tank.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MaelstromJewellery, Jul 18, 2014.

1. MaelstromJewellery

MaelstromJewellery New Member

I have a Rothenberger Superfire2 and am currently using the disposable 400g cartridges/tanks.

As they're pretty expensive, looking to switch to a propane tank using a "push on hose adaptor" designed for the torch. Haven't linked it here as I'm not 100% of the rules yet.

I then need a hose to a regulator to the tank, preferably with a flashback arrestor fitted, right? Is there anything else I need to do or is it just a matter of getting the parts that fit properly?

Rothenberger don't seem to provide a spec sheet for the Superfire so I can't actually find a exact size for the connector or the pressure the regulator needs to be able to cope with, so I was hoping there are some plumbers or torch users out there who could possibly point me in the right direction.

Thanks. :)

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

that's a big torch for jewellery unless you are melting down ? - Cooksons keep all manner of adaptors and odd fittings

3. MaelstromJewellery

Pretty big, yeah - its mostly being used for annealing and melting though, and it does pretty well at those things. If I was doing finer work I'd have picked something a bit smaller.

I do like Cookson, but they're charging £100 for a regulator without a gauge and £40 odd for a hose... to be honest I guess I'm just mostly wondering if Propane stuff has a standard fitting and I can grab most of it from any hardware store. (although Screwfix don't seem to carry regulators etc)

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

what's wrong with a standard torch ?

the only advantage to that torch is that it's got a built in igniter - if you are sat at a bench a disposable lighter does the trick - and why do you need a guage ? - for £50 ish you could get a nice Sievert complete with hose and adaptor that plugs directly into a cheapo standard gas bottle reg, which will last months and give you a couple of days notice that it's running low

5. MaelstromJewellery

To be honest, I got it because I'd used one before and I found torch+MAPP for £45. I do like the look of the Sievert, especially changable tips..

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

if Cooksons don't do the adaptor you are after google Hamilton gas products - they will, but good luck finding a guage, no one I know uses a guage for what you are doing, certainly not for flow control as it will be so low

7. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

8. MaelstromJewellery

Ah, nice one. Thanks! ;)