Connecting plastic pipes to copper

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ben Rafuel, Nov 2, 2014.

1. Ben Rafuel

Ben Rafuel New Member

We are planning to have our house (3 floors) completely re-plumbed, and the current proposal is to have all the piping below ground floor level using flexible plastic piping, and all pipes connected to utilities sinks and heating system (on top floor) in copper.

Is this a common approach? How reliable will connections between plastic and copper be?

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Will be fine.
    Follow the MI's, either Hep2o or speedfit (I prefer the Hep, pipes more flexible).
    Cleanliness is essential so don't take your fittings out of the plastic bag until you are ready for them and keep the bag closed while you are not.
    Make sure the ends of the copper are not sharp, trim with a pipe cutter first, remove any dust / dirt and push the fittings fully home. Fit the locking inserts.
    Use pipe inserts in the plastic ends.
    Test hydraulically, usually 1.5 x working pressure for an hour.

Rats and mice. Have been known to nibble away at plastic pipe. Solutions:
    - don't keep your house too clean so that there is always an alternative food source.
    - put rat bait down directly you think you've a problem.
    - get a cat
    - use copper throughout

3. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

One thing I would add is copper pipe and solder fittings last a life time,plastic fittings rely on a rubber seal which has a shelf life and I have known them to weep after a few years.
    Plastic pipe has its uses and can be very handy,but all the time I can use copper,I do.;)

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Agree with that, we use copper as much as possible as well. But whether you use plastic or copper, you always need good practice. Seen many a weeping solder joint where the excess flux has not been wiped off after soldering and a few years later the joint is on its way out.
    Plastic is ok but I think the key to it is keeping everything really clean, polish up the copper pipe ends if necessary. Think they give it a 25 year guarantee but I don't think that anyone will ever manage a successful claim.

5. Ben Rafuel

Ben Rafuel New Member

Thank you, very clear and comprehensive.

6. Ben Rafuel

Ben Rafuel New Member

Thank you, noted. It's a balance between cost and flexibility and durability.

7. Ben Rafuel

Ben Rafuel New Member

Again, thanks.

8. JerryUK

JerryUK New Member

As I've got two weeping copper to plastic joints (plastic elbows..don't know the make..moved house recently..keep finding problems!), I agree.
    There is no way I would use plastic where copper will do, it's got to be more reliable over time.
    Maybe some push-fit solutions are better than others, double O rings would be my preference, but doesn't rubber rot away after a number of years?
    So if a typically new build house is full of push fit..does that mean they are (by design) on a countdown to a flood?
    The leak has gone up the wall, soaked the plaster and it stinks.