Connecting SWA from rear of consumer unit.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by itool, May 14, 2013.

1. itool

itool New Member

Hi Guys.

Basically a  3c SWA cable has been ran to the gargage from the house. At the garage end it has been glanded and the banjo used. At the house end the cable has been ran into the house and inside a latted wall where the CU is to be. The SWA comes out at the same place as the rest of the cables (new install). There is very little space inside the wall (1'' latts). Any suggestions as to the best way to connect??.

Many thanks.

2. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Can you not terminate in an enclosure

[​IMG]

3. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

What is the supply type.(TN-C-S....?)
    Is there a water service in the garage ?
    Is the garage going to be TT 'd ?
    All this might make a difference to what you do with the earthing, and how you do it.
    RS

4. itool

itool New Member

Thanks for the responses guys.

Supply is TN-S and there is no water supply in garage.

Wally, is the SWA glanded loose inside the enclosure? That may be an option.

5. wally

wally Screwfix Select

Hi itool, I usually fit in an enclosure with a suitable gland & use one of those earthing locking nuts rather than a banjo & leave the gland floating inside.    If there is spare swa then I pull it thru the box, make off end then pull it back so it will fit in a 4x4 box, If no spare cable them I have to make it off inside the box in which case I use a 6x4 box.    If I can fit the box close to the c/u the live/neutral can pass thru into the c/u if you leave them long enough, oversleaved where required without the need of any joints.  The only joint then in the box will be for the cpc.  It has always worked well for me if terminating into an all insulated c/u.   I also use this method if the armour is pme earthed at the house end  & tt at a garage etc, the only difference then I dont use a gland at the garage end & no earth from the swa to the consumer unit & fit a stake & wire to the c/u, that way totally isolating the pme from the garage c/u