Conservatory wall ideas welcome!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Dirkas, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Dirkas

Dirkas New Member

Hi.
    First post.......
    I've read up on cladding conservatory roof with superquilt battens and cladding etc....forum on here was very helpful. Bugged me for years how unusable it is in the winter.
    Anyway I've nearly finished this and was wondering if I could do something similar to the boundary side.
    Stupidly I had it built with a dwarf wall all round and glazed to the fence wall.

Has anyone filled this in?
    I realise I could remove the windows and build the wall up, but wondered if I could construct a stud wall over the glass and use the super quilt I have left to insulate it. Then plasterboard or clad finish the inside. Appreciate I'd have to do something to the outside to keep the neighbours happy.
    Apologies if posted before......googled for Britain and can't find much info.
    Maybe this is a daft idea....just in a moment of ponder.

So, stud wall affixed to upvc window frame (through alu) and built on top of dwarf wall....affixed to original house wall.
    That make sense? ?

Thanks for looking....

(Apologies posted this originally in FAQ section...doh.....).

2. You can get PVC panels which are the same thickness as glazing units so can be fitted directly in - probably the easiest and simplest solution. They have a kind of foamy interior sandwich too, so I guess they are reasonably well insulated.

This wall isn;t a sun-trap at all, then?! You ain't gonna lose solar gain by doing this?

Anyhoo, I guess another alternative would be to simply adhere summat like 25mm Celotex sheets to the window frames with dabs of StixAll or similar, butting them up tightly together to form an unbroken 'wall'. Then clad this or even use a thick lining paper before painting.

How wide is each window? How far between each vertical frame section you could bond to?

As for yer neighbs, in theory all you'd need to do is to paint the inside glass with while paint (or even a terracotta or similar-to-you-house-wall-colour if more appropriate) before panelling over - you say there's a fence there, so how much would they actually see anyhoo?

3. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

I can't see why not.
    Pictures would help though.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I posted similar on his other thread.

community.screwfix.com/threads/conservatory-wall.186131/

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Dirkas

Dirkas New Member

Thanks for replies guys. Yeh I got all giddy and put post in wrong place. Sorry.
    I'll attach some pics once I figure out how..... just fancied the stud wall so potentially hang tv off it maybe using some floating stud effort if strong enough.
    Presume I'd screw into alluminium spa above the windows.
    Thanks

6. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Or run it to the floor

7. ShesAFixerUpper

ShesAFixerUpper New Member

Hi,

I realise this was 4 years ago, but did you ever do it? Did it work? I’m about to buy a house with a similar problem and would like to fill in the windows too. I’ll eventually replace the conservatory so just want a quick semi-temporary fix.

Many thanks.

8. Dirkas

Dirkas New Member

Yeh I did do it.
    Best thing ever did. Use it all year round now....was going to be temporary till I knocked it down but I like it. Cost about 400 including the space blanket roll for the roof. I just put battens...kingspan in 3 'windows' then cladded and painted them. Roof is batten...space blanket...batten...pvc cladding. Was fairly straight forward.
    Good luck!

9. Peter Chorlton

Peter Chorlton New Member

10. Peter Chorlton

Peter Chorlton New Member

Hi, we are going to do this ourselves, did you leave a conservatory window slightly open for ventilation behind the studding or is it not needed. I’m worried if damp starts ? Many thanks

11. Fiframe

Fiframe New Member

12. Fiframe

Fiframe New Member

We are thinking of plaster boarding one wall of our conservatory. We already have a boarded dwarf wall and was just going to continue this up to the hoppers using the same batons and insulation as yours. I just wondered how you attached the batons? Are they screwed straight on to the pvc? Like the idea of doing the roof too but our kitchen window is in the conservatory and think it might make the kitchen too dark.

13. Niggle Rodders

Niggle Rodders New Member

Did you ever get an answer to this. We are thinking of doing the same