Consumer unit full

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DJU, Aug 28, 2014.

1. DJU

DJU Member

From a previous thread that I have posted regarding an induction hob install, this will actually fill up my CU once the potential DP MCB goes in.

There is a bit of spare bar to the right but not sure if this can be used to expand it.

Dilemma I have is that I am looking to lose the combi boiler and put in a heat only boiler and have an immersion tank back in which will require it's own circuit.. I think

I have attached a photo showing the current useage of the CU. Oh, would the current Combi have it's own circuit or can that run off a ring main?

Thanks again in advance

Attached Files:

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I did wonder if that's why the electrician suggested a single pole when reading your other thread!

Its good practice to have the heating on its own circuit. Usually a radial protected by a 16amp breaker and then fused down to 3amps for the flex going to the boiler.

3. DJU

DJU Member

Thanks for that info. As I am looking to have the boiler moved to the airing cupboard, will I be able to have a single pole breaker to supply the airing cupboard for the Boiler and immersion?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Mate, I'm pretty sure immersion heater ctts are only allowed to supply the immersion heater and nothing else. Might be worth a check. Personally I would have the immersion on it's own ctt and the boiler off a spur from the ring final.

FatHands likes this.
  5. DJU

DJU Member

Thanks Coloumb. Will check into that about the feed. Going to research into the cabling required for the immersion now unless someone is able to post on here before I find out :). This can run on a 16A Single pole?

6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Col, going by the letter of the regs. yes immersion heaters should be on their own dedicated circuit. However, I can't see anything wrong at all with spurring off via an fcu with a 3 amp fuse, rightly or wrongly I admit I've done it a few times! (and certified it) This is why the regs. are not statute I think, as competent people we are allowed to make decisions on our own as to what's safe or un-safe?

FatHands likes this.
  7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

^That's a fair point mate, and prolly I would do the same if I had no other choice, but I'm just sayin' like :)

8. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Hi Seneca

Are you sure you've had an immersion heater on a 3 amp fuse? Boiler circuit maybe.

Kind regards

BS

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

FCU with a 3 amp fuse spurred off of the immersion circuit to feed the boiler!

10. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Cheers Seneca. Re reading it I can see what you meant. First read looked as though the immersion heater not the boiler was on the FCU.

Note to self - Must read things more clearly before querying.

Kind regards

BS

11. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

I'm happy with 1mm cable on 6A MCB fused down to 3A for a boiler circuit.

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

1mm now only to be used on lighting circuit's Stateit!
    When I install a boiler circuit from scratch I use 1.5mm and a 6 amp mcb and then an fcu with 3 amp fuse near the boiler.

FatHands likes this.
  13. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Blimey. I'll have to look that one up. Regs book in my van at the moment as had assessment 2 days ago.

Shame I wasn't asked that question as I'd have argued till I was blue in the face... ;)

(Max 3A load on single point circuit with cable able to take more...)

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Mad isn't it Stateit, 14a rated cable with 3a fuse isn't good enough for them and yet we can still have a double socket outlet spurred from a ring or c/unit with 32a mcb on 2.5!

15. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yep, 1mm for lighting only. Room stats, fans from FCU's on a socket cct etc all need to be in a minimum of 1.5mm.

I don't think it was fully thought through.....

seneca likes this.
  16. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Nothing new there then Lec!

17. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I was thinking how daft some of this stuff is recently whilst installing an outside double socket outlet for someone. It was a very easy job, the c/unit was on the inside of the wall where I was fitting the socket. I planned to spur the socket from the ring at the c/unit but I noticed a 32 amp radial circuit which was only feeding the boiler through an fcu. I thought how much more sensible it would have been to put the outside socket on there but of course I wouldn't put a 2.5mm radial on a 32 a mcb would I, but putting the outside socket on a 2.5mm radial from the 32 a ring circuit is fine!

FatHands likes this.
  18. Lectrician

I can remember a discussion with the NICEIC assessor inspecting a PIR we did (we get assessed on these too, and full day inspection).

I had commented on two separate hand drier circuits being fed from a single B32. The hand driers in 2.5mm, and with DP switches (not FCUs).

The assessor asked "how would you remedy this". I replied with "swap the MCB for two 16 or 20amp MCBs and swap the DP switches for FCUs. He replied with "or just swap the DP switches for FCUs".

I was quite early in my sparking life, and it highlighted a practical difference between short circuit and overload protection, when compared to a classroom!

FatHands likes this.
  19. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

You guys are kidding me? Your not wiring every "power" ctt. in 1.5mm from now on off a 3a fcu? Even boiler controls?

20. Lectrician

If you want to comply.....