Consumer unit missing blanks

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Bewlec, Oct 9, 2015.

1. Bewlec

Bewlec Member

Hi
    Would my fellow sparks on here class a consumer unit without blanks fitted class it a being left in a dangerous condition?
    I recently visited a property to quote on some work as the resident was keep getting fobbed of by the
    electrician who had rewired the property but had left some outstanding work.
    I quoted for the work but when I was there I looked at the consumer unit, it was a 14 way board but did not have blanks fitted to 6 of the ways, so a person could touch bus bar inside. Although the consumer unit did have a flip down cover over MCB's

2. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I would never leave a board like that personally. Guessing he planned to come back.

3. Bewlec

Bewlec Member

Yes he did return when resident threatened to report him to NIC but left it that was for around 6 weeks

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would find out who it was a report them anyway. 100% class A dangerous.

5. Bewlec

Bewlec Member

I have been asked by the resident to give them a letter stating how would assess the consumer unit I think they are going to report them

6. Gazza999

Gazza999 New Member

For me issuing just "a letter" would be a very big NO, if the punter wishes to take action about an alleged sub standard installation then you should be doing a full EICR in line with BS7671 and not a letter giving your own opinion. Personally i would code the above as C1 as "The persons using the installation are at immediate risk" even though it is not in the normal course of operation of the installation that the danger is present it is not unreasonable to assume that the customer may use the CU for isolation purposes and then an immediate risk would be present. If you C1 it then notice MUST be given in writing immediately regarding the C1 and you should not wait until the full report is ready for submission to the client.