Consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jimbbob, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Jimbbob

Jimbbob New Member

Hello all,
    Just after a bit of advice, I am in the process of selling my house, the house is 25 years old and has the old style consumer unit with wire fuses, am I obliged to renew this with the new type rcd, and mcb

Thanks

2. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Not at all but if the buyers have an electrical report done they might try to negotiate a lower price but I'd tell them to jog on.

Carrot and KIAB like this.
  3. Jimbbob

Jimbbob New Member

Thanks for your speedy response Peter, I meant to mention about a third of the wall sockets are not switched but all are switched that are in the kitchen, would this comply with regs ?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It don't matter if they are switched or not, tbh mate 25 years old prolly the new owners might want to replace them and the c.u. and maybe a partial rewire. Anyway, it's not your problem, it's up to the buyer.

5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I would class a 25 year old installation as still new. I was wiring houses in the early 90s with 1.0mm and 2.5 copper twin and earth just as we are today, and would be horrified if I thought they needed re-wiring again. I'm sure we used RCDs on the sockets as well back then. Ok maybe the lights could go on an RCD and maybe renew the RCD that's already there and possibly a few worn sockets but apart from that it should still be as new. That's unless some DIY dunce has had their hands on it.

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plenty of life left in the wiring,if your being really fussy,you could tart it up with new sockets,switches, & change c.u.:)

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

His question is
    The answer is NO, there is no obligation to update the existing installation, unless this is necessary to enable new wiring works to be undertaken.
    He is selling = no new works = no new CU needed.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Badly worded reply by me:oops:, I should have added ,' new owner' could tart it up, NOT present one.
    As already said, it's perfectly ok as it is.:)

10 minutes limit is not long enough to edit post, when your trying to type,& have to continually answer phone & front door.:mad:

9. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I agree with the previous answers.

10. Jimbbob

Jimbbob New Member

thanks everyone for your good advice at least I am forarmed now, I have no issue should an electrical inspection throw up something that is outside of the current regs I will not have a problem in paying for the remedial work, but in this case we will see how it goes, (know what you mean Kiab multitasking was never my strong point either :( )

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't agree with ''Diy Dunce'' bit tbqh..:)

12. How on earth do you manage to balance your busy life style... :rolleyes:

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Why? If it was installed correctly at the time then in general update to wiring regs are not relevant.

14. JimBBob, there is no obligation on you to update/certify/get up to current regs your house's wiring.

If it's knackered and dangerous, then it's knackered and dangerous. And it'll then come down to the buyer's surveyor to point this out to prospective peeps, and they can try and negotiate a discount if they want.

If it simply doesn't 'comply' with the latest regs - but is otherwise ok - then prospective buyers can go whistle in t'wind.

15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Really?

So if an installation was completed correctly to the 1st Edition of the Wiring Regulations in the late 1800s then it won't require updating?

16. Pollowick

Technically yes. However, if it is dangerous or failing then those parts will need reworking to current standards. I'm not say it is te right approach but a buyer should not be able to say "you don't meet 17the regs and I want £5k off the price".

KIAB likes this.
  17. Jimbbob

Jimbbob New Member

Ok one or two things seems to have mudded the water slightly, assuming no faults found on the wiring, old style fuse board and some wall sockets do not have switches and are flagged up on electrical inspection but are working correctly, does this comply with current regs ?

18. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

So do you believe that fused neutral conductors are acceptable to remain in service if installed at a time when they were permitted?

19. Pollowick

I did not say I agree with it, but am pointing out the facts.

There is no requirement to change anything UNLESS it is faulty. Just because an installation does not meet current regs is no reason for an inspection to fail it or demand a reduction in price. If it was te case, 90% of house sales would stall because the wiring uses Red and Black and even more because the CU is not metal.

20. Pollowick

I have wall sockets without switches, they were installed under 16th and 17th regs. Why do they need switches?