Consumer unit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by moss lea, Aug 1, 2017.

1. moss lea

moss lea Member

Reference to an early post where I discussed the electrician who fitted a consumer unit and I found out he was not registered in a scheme. I have since had an electrician round and he said he did not Earth bond the gas and water also the buzz bar had been hacked. I asked the original electrician and he said he hadn't done it. Furthermore it wasn't protected against fire as I was thinking of moving my service head.
    He wants to finish the job and said it would all need retesting once finished. I don't want him back and would like my money back. (No hope, right) £650 and the new electrician said he would have to strip it back but it is better to get a new box. Grr!

2. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Whilst not providing main protective bonding to extraneous conductive parts is very serious (and I am assuming that they are extraneous), I would question the competence of someone who uses nonsensical made-up terms like "Earth bonding". There is no such thing. Earthing and bonding are completely different things. Get someone competent to check whether it has been done correctly or not.

leesparkykent likes this.
  3. moss lea

moss lea Member

What is it called when you bond the fuse board to the gas and water supply and is it a requirement when having the consumer unit changed?

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It is called main equipotential bonding. There are instances regulation wise where it is not necessary to bond, for instance where the incoming services are plastic. (I usually still bond the metal pipework whithin the installation though!)

5. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

:confused::confused::confused:Bonding equipment/metal conductive surfaces together and then earthing them.

Collective bonding of earths.

Earth bonding.

Doing your utmost to prevent injury or loss of life.

Just guessing. I'll wait for the experts to respond.

6. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Main protective bonding actually. Main equipotential bonding went out with the 16th Edition.

leesparkykent likes this.
  7. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

You're not earthing them - you are bonding them to the MET.

8. PhilSo

PhilSo Screwfix Select

Is that the
    Main Earthing Terminal.?
    I don't wish to be confrontational . I just enjoy engaging with people.

PhilSo (humble)

9. moss lea

moss lea Member

Thanks all. So the competent electrician us correct. You have to bond, which the first electrician did not do. I don't have platic for the water juse old pipes. The non competent is wrong when he say he can sign off on the work.

10. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Well, I was suggesting that the second Electrician may not be competent if he is using nonsensical terms like "Earth bonding".

11. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Indeed it is, but it doesn't mean that you are Earthing it - you are bonding it but main protective bonding conductors connect to the MET. This is to ensure that they are kept at the same potential as exposed and other extraneous conductive parts - it is not to disconnect the supply which is the purpose of Earthing.

12. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Lol. Welcome to the world of the electrician. Every electrician knows better than every other electrician. Ask Lectrician.

13. moss lea

moss lea Member

Perhaps it is just for layman like me.
    He is saying he would at the least have to strip back the consumer unit. And I will have to oat again. It i's so difficult to know who is right.

14. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Problem with dealing with laymen for Electricians, is that they do not understand many of the terms we use.
    Also the terminology we use changes.
    For instance a Cooker Control Unit is simply a cooker switch.
    A Ring Final Circuit is a ring main.
    A lamp is actually a bulb and a light fitting is a lamp.
    Protective Equipotential Bonding is earth bonding.

Dr Bodgit and moss lea like this.
  15. moss lea

moss lea Member

So if the first guy didn't do this then he could have signed it off like he said he did. Everything I say he comes back with "well I can sign it off"
    Bull is what I say!

16. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

The term 'signing off' has double meanings.
    To sign off electrical work as far as the Wiring Regulations are concerned, means to issue an EIC or MEWIC.
    As far as Building Regulations are concerned, it means to issue a compliance notice.
    So whoever told you they could sign off their work may well have been being a little less than honest whilst actually being completely honest.

17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Think you will find when you describe me, you describe your self 100%. Pillock. Your posts are the most arrogant on this forum.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    leesparkykent and Risteard like this.
  18. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

taking a slightly different tack with this. Please try to examine and understand the contract: verbal or written with the first person who did the work. Has he completed the work under that contract to a good standard? have you given him the chance to rectify it? if he has failed then I think you can use the small claims process to recover the costs of the second contractor correcting the work.

so the question is, did you expect a new CU installed with the usual part P sign off? I think you can argue that if the original contractor did not point out how he was going to demonstrate compliance then you can assume he was going to do it.

19. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Thats where it falls down.
    Anyone can call themselves "competent".
    Anyone can sign an Electrical Installations Certificate to say that that the work they have done complies with BS7671. (Even if it doesn't - similar to a dodgy garage issuing you an MOT cert for a rubbish motor).

Maybe that's what he means by "sign off" and Jon Shmo the customer doesn't know any different, unless they have their noses into the requirements of the Building Regulations.
    The Approved Document of Part P, defines what work is NOTIFIABLE to the Local Authority. What the OP has had done is NOTIFIABLE.

The preferred (at least by the LABC) route is that the installing electrician is a member of one of the scams (sorry I meant schemes). This allows the elecrtician to self notify his works to the local authority, VIA the scheme that he/she is a member of.

There are some ways round this, but that tends to be a local issue, and the LABCs seem to have differing views.

20. Joey__

Joey__ Member

Maybe he uses the term earth bonding just to try and make it as easy to understand for non electricians I.e his client? Do you think you can decide someone is qualified or not by a comment they made on the internet?