Controlling numerous shutters from 1 switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Matt-1, May 18, 2015.

1. Matt-1

Matt-1 Member

Afternoon all,

Currently working on a rewire of a commercial premises

We have a RFC for the window shutters, which include FCU's at each of the window roller shutters

Now the owners have decided they would like 1 switch under the counter to control all of the shutters from 1 switch, now the spark was on a different job today so I havnt had chance to ask him, but from what I hear he is planning on putting in a relay, then sending separate cables out to each of the 8 x shutters

Is there not a easier way of doing this ? and also could somebody please explain to me how this works ( im just a trainee )

Thanks very much

Matt

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If it's just a case of switching on/off the power, depending on layout/cable runs etc. i'd probably consider feeding the RFC from the breaker in 4mm cable and putting in a DP switch so that the ring could be switched from there?

Matt-1 likes this.
  3. Matt-1

Matt-1 Member

Hi Seneca, thanks for your reply

To be honest your post is exactly what I was thinking could be done, but Im guessing they are wanting the switch to open and close the window security shutters from 1 switch under the trade counter

Now ill be honest, ive never worked with shutters before, and dont have any knowledge of how they work ?

If power is killed to the shutter would they go down ? If so then interrupting the circuit with a DP switch would work wouldnt it ? But im guessing thats not how they work

Im just trying to get an idea of how these are connected up and possible solutions instead of having to pull in over 200m of cable if there is another possible solution

The shutters are all single phase with no outside key control, and are supplied with 1.5mm 4 core flex

Thanks again

Matt

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I must admit that I don't know any more about shutter controls than you do Matt!

Matt-1 likes this.
  5. Matt-1

Matt-1 Member

Me neither Seneca, I was just trying to get a bit of an idea of how they worked and if there was a way they could be interlinked to open / close on 1 switch without running a load more cable to each shutter

Thanks again

Matt

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

My gut feeling suggests more cores will be required to each shutter for uppy /downy workings unfortunately.

Matt-1 likes this.
  7. Matt-1

Matt-1 Member

Thanks Rutland, looks like im going to have to pull them in then !

Could you explain to me how it will work please ?

At the minute we have a ring of t&e with FCU's above each window, with a 4 core flex hanging out from the motor of the shutter, I just dont understand how he was planning to connect these up

Thanks very much

Matt

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I'd guess that's the case Rulland.

Matt-1 likes this.
  9. Matt-1

Matt-1 Member

So its going to be a case of running another 4 core to each shutter through a switch to be able to control the up / down of the shutters

Thanks again

Matt

10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I would think that the four core will go to a shutter control switch which would normally just switch the live to either one core for up and one core for down, plus neutral and earth obviously.

Matt-1 likes this.
  11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

You might find the inrush to 8 motors all starting at the same time is enough to trip the MCB. Do you have details of the motor and size of MCB feeding the circuit?

Matt-1 likes this.
  12. Matt-1

Matt-1 Member

Just thought I would udpate this thread

Managed to speak to the guy installing the roller shutters today, and basically the FCU RFC we had originally installed is now redundant as the spec was to have each shutter with a separate control box for each, and a separate switch for each, this has now been changed to 1 switch and a 8 way control unit to control them all from the 1 switch

So we now have a radial circuit connected to a FCU, which then powers the shutter control unit, with 4 core going out of the relays to the shutter motors, no problem, it all makes sense to me now..

But... I brought up the question of '' what about local isolation for each shutter '' for which I had no answer given

I would like to know your input on this please guys

P.S, please remember im only a trainee so dont get too technical with me :D

Thanks

Matt

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As CraigMcK, there is still the high initial current draw, and, as you have suggested, local isolation for each shutter if one decides to play silly bug...rs, I suppose somat like a triple pole fan isolator killing the neutral and two lives (up and down) could be used.