Convector heaters

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by macca31, Jul 30, 2015.

1. macca31

macca31 New Member

My mother in law has purchased an old sunbed shop to convert into a craft centre. It had no gas to the property so heating it will be electric. It has a 3phase supply which was needed for the sunbeds. I have disconnected all the wiringfor the sunbeds. One phase is feeding a consumer unit consisting of 2 ring mains and 3 radials.
    I plan to install 3 x 3kw convector heaters each on 20a radials. Can I use the same phase as the consumer unit to do this directly or should I take a tail off one of the phases to instal a 3way consumer unit for the heating?
    Many thanks

2. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Firstly are you a spark?

The reason I ask this is because its new circuits for a commercial premises and will require certification for starters

Also is there any flats above this shop with shared metering?

The TP could be blanked off by your metering company and the one phase still in use could be used for the three heating points.

A bit of diversity would be a good idea for all the final circuits

Thats how a spark would start.

3. macca31

macca31 New Member

Thanks for your reply. I am not a qualified spark but do have my c&g 236 pt1 in Electrical installation which I passed many years ago.
    There is a flat above the shop but it is not a shared meter.
    I was wondering whether to use the same phase as the cu to add the heating circuits/ radials. And use RCBOs as extra protection

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Get a spark in. You may save a few beans if they are agreeable to you doing a bit of 'donkey work'. Busy yourself with the rest of the 're-fit'.